Dec 31, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
It’s probably no coincidence that the Capitals have gotten a few more wins lately and Alex Ovechkin has been a big part of it.
The Caps have earned points in four of their last five games and over that span Ovechkin has had four goals and three assists and has taken over the team goal scoring lead. CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley poses the question: Has the old Ovechkin returned? The Magic 8-Ball would say, “ask again later.”
Ovechkin tells Gormley that the way the Caps are doing things now is by being more careful.
“I think we’re playing moere safely,” he said. “We’re trying not to make mistakes in their zone or the neutral zone. When you have an opportunity to go you go and try to make some moves. But most of the time we’re thinking about playing safe.”
There are some coaches who used to say that “safe was death” but for the Capitals, playing it safe is paying off right now.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)