Dec 31, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
It’s probably no coincidence that the Capitals have gotten a few more wins lately and Alex Ovechkin has been a big part of it.
The Caps have earned points in four of their last five games and over that span Ovechkin has had four goals and three assists and has taken over the team goal scoring lead. CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley poses the question: Has the old Ovechkin returned? The Magic 8-Ball would say, “ask again later.”
Ovechkin tells Gormley that the way the Caps are doing things now is by being more careful.
“I think we’re playing moere safely,” he said. “We’re trying not to make mistakes in their zone or the neutral zone. When you have an opportunity to go you go and try to make some moves. But most of the time we’re thinking about playing safe.”
There are some coaches who used to say that “safe was death” but for the Capitals, playing it safe is paying off right now.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 26
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)