Dec 31, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
It’s probably no coincidence that the Capitals have gotten a few more wins lately and Alex Ovechkin has been a big part of it.
The Caps have earned points in four of their last five games and over that span Ovechkin has had four goals and three assists and has taken over the team goal scoring lead. CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley poses the question: Has the old Ovechkin returned? The Magic 8-Ball would say, “ask again later.”
Ovechkin tells Gormley that the way the Caps are doing things now is by being more careful.
“I think we’re playing moere safely,” he said. “We’re trying not to make mistakes in their zone or the neutral zone. When you have an opportunity to go you go and try to make some moves. But most of the time we’re thinking about playing safe.”
There are some coaches who used to say that “safe was death” but for the Capitals, playing it safe is paying off right now.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)