Dec 31, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
It’s probably no coincidence that the Capitals have gotten a few more wins lately and Alex Ovechkin has been a big part of it.
The Caps have earned points in four of their last five games and over that span Ovechkin has had four goals and three assists and has taken over the team goal scoring lead. CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley poses the question: Has the old Ovechkin returned? The Magic 8-Ball would say, “ask again later.”
Ovechkin tells Gormley that the way the Caps are doing things now is by being more careful.
“I think we’re playing moere safely,” he said. “We’re trying not to make mistakes in their zone or the neutral zone. When you have an opportunity to go you go and try to make some moves. But most of the time we’re thinking about playing safe.”
There are some coaches who used to say that “safe was death” but for the Capitals, playing it safe is paying off right now.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 18
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)