Dec 31, 2011, 12:57 PM EDT
A day after being waived for the second time this season, New York Rangers forward Sean Avery had some parting words for the organization and its head coach, John Tortorella.
“I have a lot to prove, and I have a lot of game left after not being allowed to play my game for the last four years,” Avery told the New York Post. “I guarantee that I’ll play my [expletive] off and give everything I have for the team that will give me the chance I wasn’t getting [from coach John Tortorella].
“That team will be getting a guy who has a lot to prove.”
The 31-year-old winger claims to have plenty of game left. While he never seemed to escape Torts’ doghouse this year, Avery was moderately effective after being recalled from AHL Hartford, scoiring three goals and recording a plus-2 rating in 15 games for the Rangers. Brooks noted Avery “played energetically, effectively and with discipline, taking one penalty that left the Rangers shorthanded.”
Avery’s agent, Pat Morris, has been granted permission to seek a trade for his client, and Avery’s comments suggest any team that acquires him would get more sandpaper than what he showed on Broadway.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)