Dec 31, 2011, 12:57 PM EDT
A day after being waived for the second time this season, New York Rangers forward Sean Avery had some parting words for the organization and its head coach, John Tortorella.
“I have a lot to prove, and I have a lot of game left after not being allowed to play my game for the last four years,” Avery told the New York Post. “I guarantee that I’ll play my [expletive] off and give everything I have for the team that will give me the chance I wasn’t getting [from coach John Tortorella].
“That team will be getting a guy who has a lot to prove.”
The 31-year-old winger claims to have plenty of game left. While he never seemed to escape Torts’ doghouse this year, Avery was moderately effective after being recalled from AHL Hartford, scoiring three goals and recording a plus-2 rating in 15 games for the Rangers. Brooks noted Avery “played energetically, effectively and with discipline, taking one penalty that left the Rangers shorthanded.”
Avery’s agent, Pat Morris, has been granted permission to seek a trade for his client, and Avery’s comments suggest any team that acquires him would get more sandpaper than what he showed on Broadway.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)