Dec 30, 2011, 7:05 PM EST
Strange Czech hockey politics kept him from being named the official star of the game, but the U.S. team knows that Petr Mrazek was the No. 1 reason that their hopes of winning a medal in this year’s World Junior Championships are dwindling. Mrazek made 52 saves and celebrated boisterously in front of a Canadian crowd that was more than willing to cheer the Czechs on as they beat the U.S. 5-2.
This penalty shot save might be Mrazek’s signature moment:
The Americans will face a typically fantastic Canadian team during their traditional New Year’s Eve game, but the match might not have the tournament relevance it normally does. Finland can knock the U.S. out of medal contention with a regulation win, according to NHL.com.
Generally speaking, the U.S. program has made some huge strides in the last several years, so underwhelming runs like these are starting to stand out a lot more. Then again, sometimes you simply run into a guy as amazing as Mrazek was today.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)