Dec 30, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Strange Czech hockey politics kept him from being named the official star of the game, but the U.S. team knows that Petr Mrazek was the No. 1 reason that their hopes of winning a medal in this year’s World Junior Championships are dwindling. Mrazek made 52 saves and celebrated boisterously in front of a Canadian crowd that was more than willing to cheer the Czechs on as they beat the U.S. 5-2.
This penalty shot save might be Mrazek’s signature moment:
The Americans will face a typically fantastic Canadian team during their traditional New Year’s Eve game, but the match might not have the tournament relevance it normally does. Finland can knock the U.S. out of medal contention with a regulation win, according to NHL.com.
Generally speaking, the U.S. program has made some huge strides in the last several years, so underwhelming runs like these are starting to stand out a lot more. Then again, sometimes you simply run into a guy as amazing as Mrazek was today.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)