Dec 30, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Optimistic estimates had Tyler Myers returning from wrist surgery sometime around New Year’s. Those dreams were dashed today as the young Buffalo Sabres defenseman told John Vogl of The Buffalo News that he’ll be out indefinitely.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington writes that similar injuries can take anywhere from two to three months to rehab, so this probably shouldn’t come as a big surprise. (Myers went on the shelf in late November.)
It’s still disappointing news for a Sabres team that needs a bright side to look on. Ryan Miller is scheduled to make his eighth start in a row tonight despite his noted struggles, but he hasn’t been the only problem in Buffalo. The defense is as leaky as ever and Vogl points out that 11 Sabres are on pace for less goals than last season.
Perhaps this might give Myers a chance to step back and gather his wits amid a second straight season of struggles since his sterling rookie campaign. He has just six points and a -4 rating in 19 games this season, so Buffalo’s hope is that he’ll sort things out once he comes back – whenever that might be.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)