Dec 30, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Optimistic estimates had Tyler Myers returning from wrist surgery sometime around New Year’s. Those dreams were dashed today as the young Buffalo Sabres defenseman told John Vogl of The Buffalo News that he’ll be out indefinitely.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington writes that similar injuries can take anywhere from two to three months to rehab, so this probably shouldn’t come as a big surprise. (Myers went on the shelf in late November.)
It’s still disappointing news for a Sabres team that needs a bright side to look on. Ryan Miller is scheduled to make his eighth start in a row tonight despite his noted struggles, but he hasn’t been the only problem in Buffalo. The defense is as leaky as ever and Vogl points out that 11 Sabres are on pace for less goals than last season.
Perhaps this might give Myers a chance to step back and gather his wits amid a second straight season of struggles since his sterling rookie campaign. He has just six points and a -4 rating in 19 games this season, so Buffalo’s hope is that he’ll sort things out once he comes back – whenever that might be.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)