Dec 30, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Optimistic estimates had Tyler Myers returning from wrist surgery sometime around New Year’s. Those dreams were dashed today as the young Buffalo Sabres defenseman told John Vogl of The Buffalo News that he’ll be out indefinitely.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington writes that similar injuries can take anywhere from two to three months to rehab, so this probably shouldn’t come as a big surprise. (Myers went on the shelf in late November.)
It’s still disappointing news for a Sabres team that needs a bright side to look on. Ryan Miller is scheduled to make his eighth start in a row tonight despite his noted struggles, but he hasn’t been the only problem in Buffalo. The defense is as leaky as ever and Vogl points out that 11 Sabres are on pace for less goals than last season.
Perhaps this might give Myers a chance to step back and gather his wits amid a second straight season of struggles since his sterling rookie campaign. He has just six points and a -4 rating in 19 games this season, so Buffalo’s hope is that he’ll sort things out once he comes back – whenever that might be.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)