Dec 30, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Optimistic estimates had Tyler Myers returning from wrist surgery sometime around New Year’s. Those dreams were dashed today as the young Buffalo Sabres defenseman told John Vogl of The Buffalo News that he’ll be out indefinitely.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington writes that similar injuries can take anywhere from two to three months to rehab, so this probably shouldn’t come as a big surprise. (Myers went on the shelf in late November.)
It’s still disappointing news for a Sabres team that needs a bright side to look on. Ryan Miller is scheduled to make his eighth start in a row tonight despite his noted struggles, but he hasn’t been the only problem in Buffalo. The defense is as leaky as ever and Vogl points out that 11 Sabres are on pace for less goals than last season.
Perhaps this might give Myers a chance to step back and gather his wits amid a second straight season of struggles since his sterling rookie campaign. He has just six points and a -4 rating in 19 games this season, so Buffalo’s hope is that he’ll sort things out once he comes back – whenever that might be.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)