Dec 30, 2011, 12:55 PM EST
Optimistic estimates had Tyler Myers returning from wrist surgery sometime around New Year’s. Those dreams were dashed today as the young Buffalo Sabres defenseman told John Vogl of The Buffalo News that he’ll be out indefinitely.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington writes that similar injuries can take anywhere from two to three months to rehab, so this probably shouldn’t come as a big surprise. (Myers went on the shelf in late November.)
It’s still disappointing news for a Sabres team that needs a bright side to look on. Ryan Miller is scheduled to make his eighth start in a row tonight despite his noted struggles, but he hasn’t been the only problem in Buffalo. The defense is as leaky as ever and Vogl points out that 11 Sabres are on pace for less goals than last season.
Perhaps this might give Myers a chance to step back and gather his wits amid a second straight season of struggles since his sterling rookie campaign. He has just six points and a -4 rating in 19 games this season, so Buffalo’s hope is that he’ll sort things out once he comes back – whenever that might be.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 12
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)