Dec 30, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi reports that the 2012 Winter Classic’s alumni game’s start time of 1 pm ET might be moved back a few hours because of weather issues. Previous Winter Classic weather-related worries swirled around too much wind and other problems, but the start time for today’s media skate was reportedly moved because “the sun and warm temperatures were causing havoc on the ice.”
It’s about 50 degrees in Philly right now and it’s expected to be around 51 tomorrow around 1 pm ET tomorrow, so that report does have some merit. Carchidi reports that the NHL would likely make an announcement tonight if it’s determined that a change must be made.
For those who are worried about the same happening for the 2012 Winter Classic, Carchidi reports that it’s expected to be cooler on Monday (and Weather.com’s current forecast seems to agree). Naturally, that could change – Tuesday’s forecast calls for wind and a significant drop in temperature, for example – but the big event doesn’t seem threatened at this point.
I will now step away from my imaginary green screen and hopefully put my meteorological blogging on a lengthy hiatus.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25