Dec 30, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
New York Rangers GM Glen Sather got his way earlier this season by bringing Sean Avery back up through waivers, but it only seemed like a matter of time before he’d be out of favor once again. That time appears to be now, as ESPN New York’s Katie Strang reports that the Rangers waived Avery – again.
Any of the NHL’s other 29 teams are free to snatch the infamous agitator at his “full” price of just under $2 million.* If past league behavior is any indication, it’s unlikely that teams will have much interest in him unless he goes on re-entry waivers (again). Even then, most – if not all – of the league’s other GMs are unlikely to want to deal with the Avery circus.
The well-publicized pest has three goals and zero assists in 15 games, with a relatively subdued 21 PIM. It’s fairly well known that he essentially lives in John Tortorella’s doghouse, though, which is illustrated quite clearly by the fact that he received less than 10 minutes of ice time in all but two of his appearances this season and has been a scratch for nine consecutive games. It’s reasonable to wonder if he could be more effective if given a more legitimate chance.
Avery probably loves playing in New York, but for the sake of his career, he should root for another team to pick him up on waivers or re-entry waivers (if they call him back up). He’ll be an unrestricted free agent in July and his value will be at an all-time low if he fails to prove that he can still be a viable asset at the NHL level.
* – His cap hit is $1,937,500, to be exact. Full is in quotations marks because the Dallas Stars are actually responsible for another $1,937,500 thanks to their mishap with Avery.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 0
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 9
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 33
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)