Dec 30, 2011, 12:18 AM EST
Columbus Blue Jackets fans probably know the drill by now.
The Blue Jackets defeated the Dallas Stars 4-1 for their first regulation road win of the season, but it naturally came at a huge cost. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline passes along word from Columbus head coach Scott Arniel that James Wisniewski broke his ankle during the game.
The somewhat good news is that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson said it’s not necessarily a season-ending injury and that doctors will examine the damage on Friday.
Either way, Wisniewski has suffered through a disastrous debut season as a member of the Blue Jackets. He started it off with that notorious eight-game suspension. Things have been a little rocky on the ice, too, as his solid 17 points have been overshadowed by a -18 rating.
Suspensions and injuries have been a frequent nuisance in Wisniewski’s career; the 75 games he played in 2010-11 were a career-high. Still, this season seems like a concentrated combination of every issue that nagged him during his career: sloppy defensive play, discipline issues and now health problems have plagued his 2011-12.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)