Dec 30, 2011, 12:18 AM EST
Columbus Blue Jackets fans probably know the drill by now.
The Blue Jackets defeated the Dallas Stars 4-1 for their first regulation road win of the season, but it naturally came at a huge cost. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline passes along word from Columbus head coach Scott Arniel that James Wisniewski broke his ankle during the game.
The somewhat good news is that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson said it’s not necessarily a season-ending injury and that doctors will examine the damage on Friday.
Either way, Wisniewski has suffered through a disastrous debut season as a member of the Blue Jackets. He started it off with that notorious eight-game suspension. Things have been a little rocky on the ice, too, as his solid 17 points have been overshadowed by a -18 rating.
Suspensions and injuries have been a frequent nuisance in Wisniewski’s career; the 75 games he played in 2010-11 were a career-high. Still, this season seems like a concentrated combination of every issue that nagged him during his career: sloppy defensive play, discipline issues and now health problems have plagued his 2011-12.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)