Dec 30, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT
Ever since Kris Russell arrived in St. Louis after a trade with Columbus, he’s been Ken Hitchcock’s warhorse on the blue line. He’s played a ton of minutes per game, he’s been productive offensively and more than sound defensively. To sum it up, he’s been exactly what the Blues wanted in a defenseman.
Now they’re going to divvy up his minutes creatively for the next three weeks (at least) as Russell is out with a groin injury. Yeah, that always hurts to read, but now the Blues have to hope Ian Cole can step in in Russell’s absence and make it work.
Russell was playing great in the Blues lineup along with Kevin Shattenkirk to provide great two-way play but without him they’ll need to get that spark elsewhere. Getting a bit more out of Carlo Colaiacovo would go a long way towards stemming the tide there.
As for Cole, it’s a big opportunity for him to join the likes of Shattenkirk, Russell, and Alex Pietrangelo as young studs on defense. Getting great play out of their younger defenseman is a big reason why they’ve turned it around under Hitchcock.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)