Dec 30, 2011, 10:32 AM EST
Ever since Kris Russell arrived in St. Louis after a trade with Columbus, he’s been Ken Hitchcock’s warhorse on the blue line. He’s played a ton of minutes per game, he’s been productive offensively and more than sound defensively. To sum it up, he’s been exactly what the Blues wanted in a defenseman.
Now they’re going to divvy up his minutes creatively for the next three weeks (at least) as Russell is out with a groin injury. Yeah, that always hurts to read, but now the Blues have to hope Ian Cole can step in in Russell’s absence and make it work.
Russell was playing great in the Blues lineup along with Kevin Shattenkirk to provide great two-way play but without him they’ll need to get that spark elsewhere. Getting a bit more out of Carlo Colaiacovo would go a long way towards stemming the tide there.
As for Cole, it’s a big opportunity for him to join the likes of Shattenkirk, Russell, and Alex Pietrangelo as young studs on defense. Getting great play out of their younger defenseman is a big reason why they’ve turned it around under Hitchcock.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)