Dec 30, 2011, 12:53 AM EST
Much like what happened with Columbus and James Wisniewski‘s injury, a worrisome incident formed a dark cloud over the Colorado Avalanche’s 3-2 win against the Phoenix Coyotes. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports that talented but inconsistent Avs forward Matt Duchene appeared to injured his right knee in tonight’s game.
The Avalanche will gauge the severity of Duchene’s injury when he undergoes an MRI on Friday.
Much like Colorado as a whole, Duchene has had an up-and-down season. He’s shown flashes of the brilliance that made him shoot up the 2009 draft charts all the way to third overall (his hat trick and assist against the Dallas Stars was particularly impressive). Unfortunately, his offense has been absent on many other occasions. Duchene has a disappointing 24 points in 39 games, including just a goal and an assist in his last seven contests.
Perhaps a little time off the ice might do Duchene some big-picture good because for all of these concerns, he’s still a promising talent at just 20 years old.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)