Dec 30, 2011, 12:53 AM EST
Much like what happened with Columbus and James Wisniewski‘s injury, a worrisome incident formed a dark cloud over the Colorado Avalanche’s 3-2 win against the Phoenix Coyotes. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports that talented but inconsistent Avs forward Matt Duchene appeared to injured his right knee in tonight’s game.
The Avalanche will gauge the severity of Duchene’s injury when he undergoes an MRI on Friday.
Much like Colorado as a whole, Duchene has had an up-and-down season. He’s shown flashes of the brilliance that made him shoot up the 2009 draft charts all the way to third overall (his hat trick and assist against the Dallas Stars was particularly impressive). Unfortunately, his offense has been absent on many other occasions. Duchene has a disappointing 24 points in 39 games, including just a goal and an assist in his last seven contests.
Perhaps a little time off the ice might do Duchene some big-picture good because for all of these concerns, he’s still a promising talent at just 20 years old.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)