Dec 30, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
It’s not often that a player can reach an impressive career milestone, but it’s even less common for two different guys to cross similar barriers in the same game.
That might just be the case tonight, however, as Jarome Iginla and Daniel Alfredsson could reach significant goal-scoring thresholds when the Calgary Flames visit the Ottawa Senators. Iginla needs two goals to reach 500 while Alf needs one to hit 400.
Iginla has 14 goals in 38 games this season, including three two-goal contests (two of which happened in December). He had a rough game last night against the New York Islanders, which could be a good thing (motivation) or a bad thing (fatigue).
Alfredsson is enjoying a resurgence in 2011-12 after a tough run last season. He has 10 goals in 31 games, including two in his last five.
Barring unreasonable injuries, it’s likely just a matter of time before Iginla and Alfredsson reach those marks. Still, it would make for better theater if they pulled it off in the same game.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 6
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)