Dec 29, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports there will be no disciplinary hearing for Phoenix forward Raffi Torres for his elbow on Boston defenseman Andrew Ference last night.
In case you missed it earlier, here’s the hit in question…and the frontier justice administered by Adam McQuaid:
In terms of precedent, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended two players for elbowing this season: Edmonton’s Andy Sutton (five games for elbowing Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog) and Buffalo’s Ville Leino (one game for elbowing Philly’s Matt Read.) I guess the key difference is the offenders in those instances weren’t in possession of the puck like Torres was…well, like Torres temporarily was.
There’s also the thought the Torres-Ference incident was adequately handled/policed by the players on the ice, especially in light of McQuaid’s comments post-game.
“I think it’s one of those unwritten rules in hockey and we have a very tight-knit group of guys,” he said. “You’re reacting when you see a friend or a teammate take a questionable hit – or whatever the case may be. It’s more a reaction to stick up for somebody that you feel close to.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)