Dec 29, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports there will be no disciplinary hearing for Phoenix forward Raffi Torres for his elbow on Boston defenseman Andrew Ference last night.
In case you missed it earlier, here’s the hit in question…and the frontier justice administered by Adam McQuaid:
In terms of precedent, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended two players for elbowing this season: Edmonton’s Andy Sutton (five games for elbowing Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog) and Buffalo’s Ville Leino (one game for elbowing Philly’s Matt Read.) I guess the key difference is the offenders in those instances weren’t in possession of the puck like Torres was…well, like Torres temporarily was.
There’s also the thought the Torres-Ference incident was adequately handled/policed by the players on the ice, especially in light of McQuaid’s comments post-game.
“I think it’s one of those unwritten rules in hockey and we have a very tight-knit group of guys,” he said. “You’re reacting when you see a friend or a teammate take a questionable hit – or whatever the case may be. It’s more a reaction to stick up for somebody that you feel close to.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 14
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)