Dec 29, 2011, 5:50 PM EST
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports there will be no disciplinary hearing for Phoenix forward Raffi Torres for his elbow on Boston defenseman Andrew Ference last night.
In case you missed it earlier, here’s the hit in question…and the frontier justice administered by Adam McQuaid:
In terms of precedent, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended two players for elbowing this season: Edmonton’s Andy Sutton (five games for elbowing Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog) and Buffalo’s Ville Leino (one game for elbowing Philly’s Matt Read.) I guess the key difference is the offenders in those instances weren’t in possession of the puck like Torres was…well, like Torres temporarily was.
There’s also the thought the Torres-Ference incident was adequately handled/policed by the players on the ice, especially in light of McQuaid’s comments post-game.
“I think it’s one of those unwritten rules in hockey and we have a very tight-knit group of guys,” he said. “You’re reacting when you see a friend or a teammate take a questionable hit – or whatever the case may be. It’s more a reaction to stick up for somebody that you feel close to.”
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)