Dec 29, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports there will be no disciplinary hearing for Phoenix forward Raffi Torres for his elbow on Boston defenseman Andrew Ference last night.
In case you missed it earlier, here’s the hit in question…and the frontier justice administered by Adam McQuaid:
In terms of precedent, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended two players for elbowing this season: Edmonton’s Andy Sutton (five games for elbowing Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog) and Buffalo’s Ville Leino (one game for elbowing Philly’s Matt Read.) I guess the key difference is the offenders in those instances weren’t in possession of the puck like Torres was…well, like Torres temporarily was.
There’s also the thought the Torres-Ference incident was adequately handled/policed by the players on the ice, especially in light of McQuaid’s comments post-game.
“I think it’s one of those unwritten rules in hockey and we have a very tight-knit group of guys,” he said. “You’re reacting when you see a friend or a teammate take a questionable hit – or whatever the case may be. It’s more a reaction to stick up for somebody that you feel close to.”
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)