Dec 29, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports there will be no disciplinary hearing for Phoenix forward Raffi Torres for his elbow on Boston defenseman Andrew Ference last night.
In case you missed it earlier, here’s the hit in question…and the frontier justice administered by Adam McQuaid:
In terms of precedent, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended two players for elbowing this season: Edmonton’s Andy Sutton (five games for elbowing Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog) and Buffalo’s Ville Leino (one game for elbowing Philly’s Matt Read.) I guess the key difference is the offenders in those instances weren’t in possession of the puck like Torres was…well, like Torres temporarily was.
There’s also the thought the Torres-Ference incident was adequately handled/policed by the players on the ice, especially in light of McQuaid’s comments post-game.
“I think it’s one of those unwritten rules in hockey and we have a very tight-knit group of guys,” he said. “You’re reacting when you see a friend or a teammate take a questionable hit – or whatever the case may be. It’s more a reaction to stick up for somebody that you feel close to.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)