Dec 29, 2011, 3:44 PM EST
According to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville won’t face disciplinary action after blasting the officiating in a 2-0 loss to Los Angeles last night.
Quenneville felt both L.A. goals should’ve been disallowed and said the work of referees Ghislain Hebert and Tom Kowal was “tough to watch.”
Harmless comment? Maybe, but two things to consider:
1) The NHL has a history of stiff punishments for GMs and coaches that publicly criticize officials (most recently, Kings GM Dean Lombardi.)
2) Quenneville previously ran afoul of the league for — you guessed it! — publicly criticizing officials.
The incident occurred during the 2009 playoffs, when Quenneville was fined $10,000 for blasting officials after ‘Hawks defenseman Matt Walker was whistled for a roughing call.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there,” Quenneville said. “Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Perhaps Quenneville escaped punishment this time by backing off his comments.
“It’s over. It’s done with,” Quenneville told Rogers earlier this afternoon. “I said what I had to say.
“I think I was a little excited after the game but it’s a new day and we’re moving on.”
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)