Dec 29, 2011, 3:44 PM EDT
According to ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers, Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville won’t face disciplinary action after blasting the officiating in a 2-0 loss to Los Angeles last night.
Quenneville felt both L.A. goals should’ve been disallowed and said the work of referees Ghislain Hebert and Tom Kowal was “tough to watch.”
Harmless comment? Maybe, but two things to consider:
1) The NHL has a history of stiff punishments for GMs and coaches that publicly criticize officials (most recently, Kings GM Dean Lombardi.)
2) Quenneville previously ran afoul of the league for — you guessed it! — publicly criticizing officials.
The incident occurred during the 2009 playoffs, when Quenneville was fined $10,000 for blasting officials after ‘Hawks defenseman Matt Walker was whistled for a roughing call.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there,” Quenneville said. “Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Perhaps Quenneville escaped punishment this time by backing off his comments.
“It’s over. It’s done with,” Quenneville told Rogers earlier this afternoon. “I said what I had to say.
“I think I was a little excited after the game but it’s a new day and we’re moving on.”
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 63
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 30
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination