Dec 29, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT
Tonight at the Xcel Energy Center, Minnesota and Edmonton will face off for the sixth time this season. (Apparently the NHL wanted to get all the Wild-Oilers games out of the way before the New Year.)
For Minnesota, a matchup witht the struggling Oilers offers a great opportunity to end an eight-game losing streak that’s dropped the Wild from first to sixth in the Western Conference. All of a sudden missing the playoffs is in the conversation again, especially with Los Angeles and Calgary playing better.
The culprit? Offense. Minnesota’s managed just 10 goals during its eight-game losing streak.
Wednesday in Nashville, it took a late Dany Heatley tally to break Pekka Rinne’s shutout bid and force overtime. The Predators ended up winning 2-1 in a shootout, but Wild coach Mike Yeo was encouraged.
“For sure it was important, and not just for the sake of getting a point,” Yeo said, as per the Associated Press. “It was a reminder that if we stay with things, if we play our game for 60 minutes, then we are going to have a great chance to win the game. We didn’t win the game today, but I believe we deserved to win it.”
Suffice to say Minnesota needs to beat teams like the Oilers, particularly at home, if making the playoffs is going to happen.
The Wild hosts Phoenix Saturday, then heads out on the road for seven of nine, with tough games in Vancouver, Chicago, St. Louis and Philadelphia.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 3
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 49
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 43
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal