Dec 29, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
Last night, PHT’s James O’Brien did a solid job recapping the 10 most memorable phrases from episode three of HBO 24/7.
[WARNING: Salty language ahoy, matey]
1) At one point, Ott might’ve been fifth in faceoffs (he’s currently 10th, winning draws at a 55.7 percent clip) — but that Philly game didn’t help his cause any. Ott had trouble against the Flyers’ French-Canadian forwards, going a combined 4-11 against Giroux, Maxime Talbot and Danny Briere.
2) I can see guys bragging about how many goals they’ve scored or how they’re leading the league in points. But faceoffs? And how you’re fifth in the league in faceoffs? I didn’t know that was an acceptable chirp, but am glad it is. It totally opens the door of possibilities for other players, like Travis Hamonic (“Fifth in the league in blocked shots buddy, look it up”) and Alex Burrows (“Fifth in the league in plus-minus on the road buddy, look it up”).
3) Ott’s Babe Ruthian calling of his own shot (pointing to the corner, saying “I’m probably going to win it right there”) was priceless. Not because he lost the draw and Dallas got scored on. It’s priceless because he was calling his shot eight minutes into the first period of a December game against a non-conference opponent.
If Hollywood has taught us anything about sports, it’s that you only call your shot in the biggest moment on the biggest stage imaginable. Like Jake Taylor in Major League or Billy Hoyle in White Men Can’t Jump. Ott’s seemed a little…anticlimactic.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)