Dec 29, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
Last night, PHT’s James O’Brien did a solid job recapping the 10 most memorable phrases from episode three of HBO 24/7.
[WARNING: Salty language ahoy, matey]
1) At one point, Ott might’ve been fifth in faceoffs (he’s currently 10th, winning draws at a 55.7 percent clip) — but that Philly game didn’t help his cause any. Ott had trouble against the Flyers’ French-Canadian forwards, going a combined 4-11 against Giroux, Maxime Talbot and Danny Briere.
2) I can see guys bragging about how many goals they’ve scored or how they’re leading the league in points. But faceoffs? And how you’re fifth in the league in faceoffs? I didn’t know that was an acceptable chirp, but am glad it is. It totally opens the door of possibilities for other players, like Travis Hamonic (“Fifth in the league in blocked shots buddy, look it up”) and Alex Burrows (“Fifth in the league in plus-minus on the road buddy, look it up”).
3) Ott’s Babe Ruthian calling of his own shot (pointing to the corner, saying “I’m probably going to win it right there”) was priceless. Not because he lost the draw and Dallas got scored on. It’s priceless because he was calling his shot eight minutes into the first period of a December game against a non-conference opponent.
If Hollywood has taught us anything about sports, it’s that you only call your shot in the biggest moment on the biggest stage imaginable. Like Jake Taylor in Major League or Billy Hoyle in White Men Can’t Jump. Ott’s seemed a little…anticlimactic.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)