Dec 29, 2011, 6:45 PM EST
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
146 – Total hits for Islanders forward Matt Martin, the most in the NHL. Yes, even more than Minnesota’s Cal Clutterbuck (145), the three-time defending champion in the category. The hits stat is one of the more contentious in the NHL…if a debate over hockey stats can ever be considered contentious. Maybe that word should be reserved for arguments that really matter. Like which was better – Knight Rider or Airwolf? (It’s Airwolf.) The point is, hits are handed out pretty easily in certain buildings, thus the dubious accuracy of the stat.
3 – Total hits for Wild forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard in 34 games. The perfect retort for Clutterbuck in response to those that say his hit totals are inflated. If they were cooking the books in Minnesota, wouldn’t they throw a few hits Bouchard’s way? Even Kyle Wellwood has four hits. He apologized for three of them, but still.
0 – Shutouts for Ottawa’s Craig Anderson. The only goalie with at least 30 starts (there are eight others) without a perfect game. Other notables without a shutout include Corey Crawford, Martin Brodeur, Kari Lehtonen, and Steve Mason. (Mason’s notable because he’s started 21 games. Only Scott Howson is surprised he doesn’t have a shutout.)
.898 – Save percentage for Nashville’s Pekka Rinne in December. Clearly phoning it in now that he’s got his seven-year, $49 million guaranteed contract. These professional athletes… Actually, Rinne was brilliant Wednesday versus Minnesota and he was great in November (he signed Nov. 3), but he’s had his share of forgettable outings the last month. Twice the Predators bailed him out, scoring six goals to the five he allowed. Nashville’s high-powered like that.
1,629 – Career points for Jaromir Jagr. The most of any active player in the NHL. Only six active players boast more than 1,000 career points, the others being Teemu Selanne (1,375), Nicklas Lidstrom (1,131), Daniel Alfredsson (1,049), Jarome Iginla (1,035) and Joe Thornton (1,031). That’s pretty impressive company for Jagr to be leading. He should be booed mercilessly.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)