Dec 29, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT
Slowly, the Philadelphia Flyers are returning to health.
Nineteen-year-old rookie Sean Couturier (head) is set to rejoin the lineup tonight as the Flyers take on the Penguins in a highly-anticipated game at the Consol Energy Center. Couturier has been out since Dec. 17 after taking a Kimmo Timonen slapper in the helmet.
The shot hit him near his left ear — Couturier said he initially lost most of his hearing in the ear, but it’s since returned and is now almost back to normal.
Couturier will be Philadelphia’s third returnee in the last four games. Against Dallas (on Dec. 21), leading scorer Claude Giroux returned to the lineup in style, scoring four points in a 4-1 win. Brayden Schenn then made his return from a concussion on Tuesday in a 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay.
Speaking of Schenn, Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Flyers could ice a “kid line” tonight with Schenn skating alongside Couturier and Harry Zolnierczyk. The trio would make for one of the youngest units in the NHL — Couturier’s 19, Schenn is 20 and Zolniercyzk is the cagey veteran of the group at 24.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)