Dec 29, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT
Slowly, the Philadelphia Flyers are returning to health.
Nineteen-year-old rookie Sean Couturier (head) is set to rejoin the lineup tonight as the Flyers take on the Penguins in a highly-anticipated game at the Consol Energy Center. Couturier has been out since Dec. 17 after taking a Kimmo Timonen slapper in the helmet.
The shot hit him near his left ear — Couturier said he initially lost most of his hearing in the ear, but it’s since returned and is now almost back to normal.
Couturier will be Philadelphia’s third returnee in the last four games. Against Dallas (on Dec. 21), leading scorer Claude Giroux returned to the lineup in style, scoring four points in a 4-1 win. Brayden Schenn then made his return from a concussion on Tuesday in a 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay.
Speaking of Schenn, Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Flyers could ice a “kid line” tonight with Schenn skating alongside Couturier and Harry Zolnierczyk. The trio would make for one of the youngest units in the NHL — Couturier’s 19, Schenn is 20 and Zolniercyzk is the cagey veteran of the group at 24.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)