Dec 29, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT
Slowly, the Philadelphia Flyers are returning to health.
Nineteen-year-old rookie Sean Couturier (head) is set to rejoin the lineup tonight as the Flyers take on the Penguins in a highly-anticipated game at the Consol Energy Center. Couturier has been out since Dec. 17 after taking a Kimmo Timonen slapper in the helmet.
The shot hit him near his left ear — Couturier said he initially lost most of his hearing in the ear, but it’s since returned and is now almost back to normal.
Couturier will be Philadelphia’s third returnee in the last four games. Against Dallas (on Dec. 21), leading scorer Claude Giroux returned to the lineup in style, scoring four points in a 4-1 win. Brayden Schenn then made his return from a concussion on Tuesday in a 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay.
Speaking of Schenn, Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Flyers could ice a “kid line” tonight with Schenn skating alongside Couturier and Harry Zolnierczyk. The trio would make for one of the youngest units in the NHL — Couturier’s 19, Schenn is 20 and Zolniercyzk is the cagey veteran of the group at 24.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)