Dec 29, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT
Slowly, the Philadelphia Flyers are returning to health.
Nineteen-year-old rookie Sean Couturier (head) is set to rejoin the lineup tonight as the Flyers take on the Penguins in a highly-anticipated game at the Consol Energy Center. Couturier has been out since Dec. 17 after taking a Kimmo Timonen slapper in the helmet.
The shot hit him near his left ear — Couturier said he initially lost most of his hearing in the ear, but it’s since returned and is now almost back to normal.
Couturier will be Philadelphia’s third returnee in the last four games. Against Dallas (on Dec. 21), leading scorer Claude Giroux returned to the lineup in style, scoring four points in a 4-1 win. Brayden Schenn then made his return from a concussion on Tuesday in a 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay.
Speaking of Schenn, Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Flyers could ice a “kid line” tonight with Schenn skating alongside Couturier and Harry Zolnierczyk. The trio would make for one of the youngest units in the NHL — Couturier’s 19, Schenn is 20 and Zolniercyzk is the cagey veteran of the group at 24.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)