Dec 29, 2011, 4:55 PM EDT
The NHL wants to bring outdoor hockey games to as many markets as possible.
Even Tampa Bay?
Well, never say never, but the league’s chief operating officer, John Collins, has a few other places in mind first.
In an interview with the Canadian Press, Collins mentioned Minnesota, St. Louis and Colorado as markets that “should be involved.”
Presumably he meant they “should be involved” as hosts, not just visitors.
“I think there are a lot of markets that would be fantastic,” Collins said. “I’d like to ultimately see these games not viewed as a regional matchup or a Canada game or a U.S. game, but really kind of a celebration of hockey. If you’re a hockey fan — whether you’re a Canadian hockey fan or an American hockey fan or a Flyers fan or Flames fan — these games are special and unique and you should be tuning in even if your favorite team isn’t playing in the game.
“It’s kind of that line that we use all the time: ‘Nobody ever canceled their Super Bowl party because they didn’t like the two teams that were playing in the game.’”
Collins makes a good point. Though for the record, if it’s Atlanta and Cincinnati in this year’s Super Bowl, party’s canceled.
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)