Dec 29, 2011, 10:46 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr (boos) and Maxime Talbot (cheers) might have elicited different responses in their respective returns to Pittsburgh, but both managed to dig the knife a little deeper into the hearts of Penguins fans tonight.
Jagr scored and then saluted a beauty while Talbot capped everything off with an empty-netter as the Philadelphia Flyers won 4-2. Claude Giroux, Tyler Kennedy and Matt Read were named the three stars of this game, but you’d have to be naive to deny the fact that the spotlight was on that duo of former Penguins.
It wasn’t just about the story of those returns, though. These two teams are vying to knock the New York Rangers out of the top spot in the Atlantic Division, so the Flyers closed much of the gap. New York technically has the tie-breaker since they hold a game in hand, but both teams are tied at 48 points while Pittsburgh is stuck at 46.
This was a special game for Philly, but the drama-heavy squad’s next game should be even more fascinating, as their next contest is the 2012 Winter Classic on Monday. From an excitement standpoint, it would be ideal for the game to be for the lead in the division, but the Rangers have one game before the WC as they’ll face the Panthers in Florida on Friday.
Regardless, tonight’s game and the Winter Classic should make for great hockey – both when they air live and when the hockey world gets to re-live them in the last episode of HBO 24/7. Enjoy highlights of the Flyers win below:
Here’s some footage of Jagr’s reception in Pittsburgh:
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)