Dec 29, 2011, 4:13 PM EST
That’s the big question coming out of Boston today after Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres drilled B’s defenseman Andrew Ference last night. Here’s the hit (and subsequent response from Adam McQuaid):
Over at NESN.com, John Beattie posted a compelling frame-by-frame breakdown of the incident. It provides some pretty damning evidence — Torres appears to abandon possession/pursuit of the puck and makes Ference’s head the principal point of contact.
And while he appears to lead with his shoulder, Torres’ follow-through involves an awful lot of elbow.
The aftermath of the play was a two-minute elbowing minor and five-minute fighting major for Torres (negated by McQuaid’s two-minute instigator and five-minute fighting major). There’s no word yet if the hit is being reviewed by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan, but Torres’ history would seemingly warrant a second look.
He was suspended four games (two regular season, two playoff) last year for hitting Edmonton’s Jordan Eberle in the head and found himself embroiled in controversy after laying this hit on Chicago’s Brent Seabrook:
Torres received a two-minute interference penalty on the Seabrook hit, but wasn’t fined or suspended.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)