Dec 29, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Sounds like Washington defenseman Mike Green will return to action next week, thereby ending PHT’s award-winning coverage of his injured groin.
/pours liquor out
Green took part in his third consecutive practice on Thursday, a big step given he’s missed 21 games with a strained right groin muscle (and suffered a couple of recovery setbacks as well.) While optimistic about this latest development, Green was cautious in putting a timetable on his return.
“I’ll skate tomorrow again, see how I feel,” Green told the Washington Post. “You never know. Maybe I could play [this weekend]. But it looks like next week.
“I think we want to play this safe. Obviously been out for a long time and I want to get back, but I want to make sure I’m ready to play. No need to put myself in a dangerous situation if I’m not ready.”
The two-time Norris Trophy finalist would be a huge addition the Washington lineup. Green hasn’t been available since Dale Hunter took the coaching reigns Nov. 28 — even though he’d like his star defenseman back, the Caps bench boss is also preaching patience.
“He must be feeling pretty good,” Hunter said. “But it’s still a medical decision. Players always want to play, we’ve got to make the right decision for his injury.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the Caps blueline shakes out upon Green’s return. A noted offensive defenseman, Green will rejoin a group that’s already producing some serious offense — Dennis Wideman (23 points) and John Carlson (22) are both in the NHL’s top-10 in defensemen scoring while Karl Alzner is on pace to set a career high in points.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 13
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 36
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 17
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)