Dec 29, 2011, 8:33 AM EST
Jaromir Jagr‘s first trip to Pittsburgh as a member of the Flyers is turning into a history lesson.
While Jagr bristled about the icy reception he’ll likely get tonight, he discussed more openly how his failed negotiations with the Penguins went this summer. If there are any Pens fans upset that Jagr spurned Pittsburgh for Philadelphia, they’ll be happy to know that it’s apparently all Tyler Kennedy‘s fault. Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily has the details.
“When the GM tells you we have to sign [Tyler] Kennedy first and Kennedy is playing the third or fourth line … Just go and look for [the] GM a month before I was a free agent, and it’s going to tell you a lot. It’ll tell you if they wanted me or not.”
If it sounds like a funky brand of sour grapes, it really isn’t. Think back to this summer when Pens GM Ray Shero made it clear that their interest in Jagr was minimal until they gave into the attention Jagr’s return generated and made him an offer he could easily refuse.
Of course, Jagr also said Shero told him that he wouldn’t be playing on a line with Sidney Crosby, so you can see why the Pens offer wasn’t all that thrilling. That’s not going to help quiet the fans down tonight. Seeing Jagr on the ice at the same time as Kennedy might get a little awkward.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)