Dec 29, 2011, 8:33 AM EST
Jaromir Jagr‘s first trip to Pittsburgh as a member of the Flyers is turning into a history lesson.
While Jagr bristled about the icy reception he’ll likely get tonight, he discussed more openly how his failed negotiations with the Penguins went this summer. If there are any Pens fans upset that Jagr spurned Pittsburgh for Philadelphia, they’ll be happy to know that it’s apparently all Tyler Kennedy‘s fault. Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily has the details.
“When the GM tells you we have to sign [Tyler] Kennedy first and Kennedy is playing the third or fourth line … Just go and look for [the] GM a month before I was a free agent, and it’s going to tell you a lot. It’ll tell you if they wanted me or not.”
If it sounds like a funky brand of sour grapes, it really isn’t. Think back to this summer when Pens GM Ray Shero made it clear that their interest in Jagr was minimal until they gave into the attention Jagr’s return generated and made him an offer he could easily refuse.
Of course, Jagr also said Shero told him that he wouldn’t be playing on a line with Sidney Crosby, so you can see why the Pens offer wasn’t all that thrilling. That’s not going to help quiet the fans down tonight. Seeing Jagr on the ice at the same time as Kennedy might get a little awkward.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)