Dec 29, 2011, 8:33 AM EST
Jaromir Jagr‘s first trip to Pittsburgh as a member of the Flyers is turning into a history lesson.
While Jagr bristled about the icy reception he’ll likely get tonight, he discussed more openly how his failed negotiations with the Penguins went this summer. If there are any Pens fans upset that Jagr spurned Pittsburgh for Philadelphia, they’ll be happy to know that it’s apparently all Tyler Kennedy‘s fault. Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily has the details.
“When the GM tells you we have to sign [Tyler] Kennedy first and Kennedy is playing the third or fourth line … Just go and look for [the] GM a month before I was a free agent, and it’s going to tell you a lot. It’ll tell you if they wanted me or not.”
If it sounds like a funky brand of sour grapes, it really isn’t. Think back to this summer when Pens GM Ray Shero made it clear that their interest in Jagr was minimal until they gave into the attention Jagr’s return generated and made him an offer he could easily refuse.
Of course, Jagr also said Shero told him that he wouldn’t be playing on a line with Sidney Crosby, so you can see why the Pens offer wasn’t all that thrilling. That’s not going to help quiet the fans down tonight. Seeing Jagr on the ice at the same time as Kennedy might get a little awkward.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 1
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11