Dec 29, 2011, 8:33 AM EDT
Jaromir Jagr‘s first trip to Pittsburgh as a member of the Flyers is turning into a history lesson.
While Jagr bristled about the icy reception he’ll likely get tonight, he discussed more openly how his failed negotiations with the Penguins went this summer. If there are any Pens fans upset that Jagr spurned Pittsburgh for Philadelphia, they’ll be happy to know that it’s apparently all Tyler Kennedy‘s fault. Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily has the details.
“When the GM tells you we have to sign [Tyler] Kennedy first and Kennedy is playing the third or fourth line … Just go and look for [the] GM a month before I was a free agent, and it’s going to tell you a lot. It’ll tell you if they wanted me or not.”
If it sounds like a funky brand of sour grapes, it really isn’t. Think back to this summer when Pens GM Ray Shero made it clear that their interest in Jagr was minimal until they gave into the attention Jagr’s return generated and made him an offer he could easily refuse.
Of course, Jagr also said Shero told him that he wouldn’t be playing on a line with Sidney Crosby, so you can see why the Pens offer wasn’t all that thrilling. That’s not going to help quiet the fans down tonight. Seeing Jagr on the ice at the same time as Kennedy might get a little awkward.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)