Dec 28, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT
Want to get your hands on the best 2012 Winter Classic tickets that are available? If you base that assessment on cost alone, the asking price for tickets on Terrace 330 are just $9,999 each on StubHub.com as of this writing.
As Dan Gelston’s interesting Associated Press piece shows, the Winter Classic has morphed into a spend-happy spectacle on the scale of marquee events like Wrestlemania, college bowl games and (some might even say) the Super Bowl. Even the alumni games are becoming big business; the most expensive secondary market tickets are at an even $10,000 right now.
(Stubhub estimates that those tickets would arrive on Dec. 30. No word on whether or not they’ll be delivered in a armored vehicle within an envelope made of pure gold.)
Early estimates indicate that about 175,000 fans will attend “open-air events” revolving around the Winter Classic, from college hockey games to public skates.
It all sounds like an overwhelming behemoth of an event, which naturally spawns the next question: which city will be next? That is still to be determined, but the word is that the NHL would eventually like to hash out such plans 14-15 months ahead of time as the Winter Classic evolves.
By then, Stubhub auctioneers might just ask for your mortgage.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)