Dec 28, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT
Want to get your hands on the best 2012 Winter Classic tickets that are available? If you base that assessment on cost alone, the asking price for tickets on Terrace 330 are just $9,999 each on StubHub.com as of this writing.
As Dan Gelston’s interesting Associated Press piece shows, the Winter Classic has morphed into a spend-happy spectacle on the scale of marquee events like Wrestlemania, college bowl games and (some might even say) the Super Bowl. Even the alumni games are becoming big business; the most expensive secondary market tickets are at an even $10,000 right now.
(Stubhub estimates that those tickets would arrive on Dec. 30. No word on whether or not they’ll be delivered in a armored vehicle within an envelope made of pure gold.)
Early estimates indicate that about 175,000 fans will attend “open-air events” revolving around the Winter Classic, from college hockey games to public skates.
It all sounds like an overwhelming behemoth of an event, which naturally spawns the next question: which city will be next? That is still to be determined, but the word is that the NHL would eventually like to hash out such plans 14-15 months ahead of time as the Winter Classic evolves.
By then, Stubhub auctioneers might just ask for your mortgage.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)