Dec 28, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
The news of Shea Weber being diagnosed with a concussion got the hockey world to feel terrible about head injuries all over again yesterday. Weber has been out of action since being hit by Mark Fistric last Friday, but there’s a chance he won’t be out of action very long.
Predators coach Barry Trotz said that there’s a chance Weber could play on Friday night against St. Louis but you can’t help but feel that that might be a bad idea.
Yes, the Predators obviously missed Weber’s presence against Detroit on Monday night and if one game was a sufficient sample size it showed how much he means to the team. A guy of his size and with how he plays, however, not giving him a bit more time to recover from a concussion, no matter how slight it may be, can’t be a bad thing.
Getting Weber back on the ice is key to the success of the Predators, but having him out there to potentially get dinged again and put out of action even longer is a huge risk for both player and team.
Erring on the side of caution with concussions is never a bad thing, we suggested the same care for Claude Giroux a couple weeks ago, but Weber’s abilities make his situation more daunting. Giroux isn’t a physical force on the ice the way Weber is.
Different guys handle concussions differently, we just hope Weber’s speedy recovery is thanks to him being healthy and not him putting his health at risk for the team.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)