Dec 28, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
The news of Shea Weber being diagnosed with a concussion got the hockey world to feel terrible about head injuries all over again yesterday. Weber has been out of action since being hit by Mark Fistric last Friday, but there’s a chance he won’t be out of action very long.
Predators coach Barry Trotz said that there’s a chance Weber could play on Friday night against St. Louis but you can’t help but feel that that might be a bad idea.
Yes, the Predators obviously missed Weber’s presence against Detroit on Monday night and if one game was a sufficient sample size it showed how much he means to the team. A guy of his size and with how he plays, however, not giving him a bit more time to recover from a concussion, no matter how slight it may be, can’t be a bad thing.
Getting Weber back on the ice is key to the success of the Predators, but having him out there to potentially get dinged again and put out of action even longer is a huge risk for both player and team.
Erring on the side of caution with concussions is never a bad thing, we suggested the same care for Claude Giroux a couple weeks ago, but Weber’s abilities make his situation more daunting. Giroux isn’t a physical force on the ice the way Weber is.
Different guys handle concussions differently, we just hope Weber’s speedy recovery is thanks to him being healthy and not him putting his health at risk for the team.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)