Dec 28, 2011, 9:28 AM EST
Scott Hartnell has a way of endearing himself to opponents.
Case in point last night against Tampa Bay, Hartnell got the attention of the Lightning bench by both jawing with them and then swinging his stick around at them as if he was Darth Maul. Such an aggressive move got the attention of both Ryan Malone and Steve Downie including seeing Malone hop over the bench to have words with Hartnell.
After the game, Frank Seravalli of Philly.com got to the bottom of things only to find out it was Lightning head coach Guy Boucher that got Hartnell’s attention.
Hartnell says that Boucher started yelling at him from the bench which got Malone and Downie fired up. Boucher was unhappy because he thought Hartnell was eavesdropping on what he was telling his team. Malone had a much more fun take on things as he told Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune.
“I just think (Hartnell) was standing too close to our bench, I think … it reminded me of (the movies) “Slap Shot” or “Youngblood” or something. I didn’t know what was going on.”
Scott Hartnell as Dr. Hook or Racki? That’s totally doable.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)