Dec 28, 2011, 9:28 AM EDT
Scott Hartnell has a way of endearing himself to opponents.
Case in point last night against Tampa Bay, Hartnell got the attention of the Lightning bench by both jawing with them and then swinging his stick around at them as if he was Darth Maul. Such an aggressive move got the attention of both Ryan Malone and Steve Downie including seeing Malone hop over the bench to have words with Hartnell.
After the game, Frank Seravalli of Philly.com got to the bottom of things only to find out it was Lightning head coach Guy Boucher that got Hartnell’s attention.
Hartnell says that Boucher started yelling at him from the bench which got Malone and Downie fired up. Boucher was unhappy because he thought Hartnell was eavesdropping on what he was telling his team. Malone had a much more fun take on things as he told Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune.
“I just think (Hartnell) was standing too close to our bench, I think … it reminded me of (the movies) “Slap Shot” or “Youngblood” or something. I didn’t know what was going on.”
Scott Hartnell as Dr. Hook or Racki? That’s totally doable.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)