Dec 28, 2011, 9:28 AM EDT
Scott Hartnell has a way of endearing himself to opponents.
Case in point last night against Tampa Bay, Hartnell got the attention of the Lightning bench by both jawing with them and then swinging his stick around at them as if he was Darth Maul. Such an aggressive move got the attention of both Ryan Malone and Steve Downie including seeing Malone hop over the bench to have words with Hartnell.
After the game, Frank Seravalli of Philly.com got to the bottom of things only to find out it was Lightning head coach Guy Boucher that got Hartnell’s attention.
Hartnell says that Boucher started yelling at him from the bench which got Malone and Downie fired up. Boucher was unhappy because he thought Hartnell was eavesdropping on what he was telling his team. Malone had a much more fun take on things as he told Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune.
“I just think (Hartnell) was standing too close to our bench, I think … it reminded me of (the movies) “Slap Shot” or “Youngblood” or something. I didn’t know what was going on.”
Scott Hartnell as Dr. Hook or Racki? That’s totally doable.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)