Dec 28, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
John Madden will sign with the Florida Panthers tomorrow, according to a tweet by Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
We wrote about this possibility this morning, and while we won’t say it’s official, it’s looking all but.
Madden is a three-time Stanley Cup winner — most recently with the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks — and a former Selke recipient. Of course, he’s also 38 years old. Thus the gamble by the Panthers.
Last year with Minnesota, Madden scored 12 goals and added 13 assists; however, offense has never been his modus operandi. No Wild forward played more shorthanded minutes than Madden, who the Panthers are surely hoping will help their 24th-ranked penalty kill.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)