Dec 28, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
John Madden will sign with the Florida Panthers tomorrow, according to a tweet by Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
We wrote about this possibility this morning, and while we won’t say it’s official, it’s looking all but.
Madden is a three-time Stanley Cup winner — most recently with the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks — and a former Selke recipient. Of course, he’s also 38 years old. Thus the gamble by the Panthers.
Last year with Minnesota, Madden scored 12 goals and added 13 assists; however, offense has never been his modus operandi. No Wild forward played more shorthanded minutes than Madden, who the Panthers are surely hoping will help their 24th-ranked penalty kill.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)