Dec 28, 2011, 1:10 PM EST
John Madden will sign with the Florida Panthers tomorrow, according to a tweet by Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
We wrote about this possibility this morning, and while we won’t say it’s official, it’s looking all but.
Madden is a three-time Stanley Cup winner — most recently with the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks — and a former Selke recipient. Of course, he’s also 38 years old. Thus the gamble by the Panthers.
Last year with Minnesota, Madden scored 12 goals and added 13 assists; however, offense has never been his modus operandi. No Wild forward played more shorthanded minutes than Madden, who the Panthers are surely hoping will help their 24th-ranked penalty kill.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)