Dec 28, 2011, 5:08 PM EST
Mike Yeo is none too pleased with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“Surprised and disappointed,” Yeo told the Pioneer Press. “I thought it was a dangerous and dirty hit.”
Realizing the gigantic turd he was about to step in, Yeo quickly checked himself (lest he wreck himself.)
“Here I am, sitting here talking about it,” he said, “and the next time we play Colorado, it’s going to look like we’re going out and targeting if one of our guys goes and hits one of their skill guys. It’s going to look like it’s premeditated, and so I’d just as soon leave it alone.”
It’s not surprising Yeo briefly lost his cool. On December 15, the Wild were the first place team in the NHL.
Today, they’re sixth in the Western Conference.
They also just lost Spurgeon — third on the team in average TOI per game — to a lower-body injury, which Yeo must find equally frustrating. Minnesota was already without Devin Setoguchi, Guillaume Latendresse, Casey Wellman and Clayton Stoner and only just got captain Mikko Koivu back from a leg injury.
The rash of injuries has sapped Yeo’s team of much of its offense — the Wild have scored just nine goals during the seven-game losing streak and haven’t scored more than two in a single game since Dec. 10.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)