Dec 28, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
Mike Yeo is none too pleased with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“Surprised and disappointed,” Yeo told the Pioneer Press. “I thought it was a dangerous and dirty hit.”
Realizing the gigantic turd he was about to step in, Yeo quickly checked himself (lest he wreck himself.)
“Here I am, sitting here talking about it,” he said, “and the next time we play Colorado, it’s going to look like we’re going out and targeting if one of our guys goes and hits one of their skill guys. It’s going to look like it’s premeditated, and so I’d just as soon leave it alone.”
It’s not surprising Yeo briefly lost his cool. On December 15, the Wild were the first place team in the NHL.
Today, they’re sixth in the Western Conference.
They also just lost Spurgeon — third on the team in average TOI per game — to a lower-body injury, which Yeo must find equally frustrating. Minnesota was already without Devin Setoguchi, Guillaume Latendresse, Casey Wellman and Clayton Stoner and only just got captain Mikko Koivu back from a leg injury.
The rash of injuries has sapped Yeo’s team of much of its offense — the Wild have scored just nine goals during the seven-game losing streak and haven’t scored more than two in a single game since Dec. 10.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)