Dec 28, 2011, 5:08 PM EST
Mike Yeo is none too pleased with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“Surprised and disappointed,” Yeo told the Pioneer Press. “I thought it was a dangerous and dirty hit.”
Realizing the gigantic turd he was about to step in, Yeo quickly checked himself (lest he wreck himself.)
“Here I am, sitting here talking about it,” he said, “and the next time we play Colorado, it’s going to look like we’re going out and targeting if one of our guys goes and hits one of their skill guys. It’s going to look like it’s premeditated, and so I’d just as soon leave it alone.”
It’s not surprising Yeo briefly lost his cool. On December 15, the Wild were the first place team in the NHL.
Today, they’re sixth in the Western Conference.
They also just lost Spurgeon — third on the team in average TOI per game — to a lower-body injury, which Yeo must find equally frustrating. Minnesota was already without Devin Setoguchi, Guillaume Latendresse, Casey Wellman and Clayton Stoner and only just got captain Mikko Koivu back from a leg injury.
The rash of injuries has sapped Yeo’s team of much of its offense — the Wild have scored just nine goals during the seven-game losing streak and haven’t scored more than two in a single game since Dec. 10.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)