Dec 28, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Two days after missing the third period in a 4-3 win over Phoenix, LA Kings LW Simon Gagne has officially been placed on injured reserve. Kings GM Dean Lombardi made the announcement this morning, saying Gagne’s on the shelf with an upper-body injury.
The organization is keeping mum on specifics, but LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond reports it’s “obvious” Gagne hurt himself by hitting his head after a hit near the boards. (TSN has video of the suspected incident, watch it here.)
Questions now abound for new head coach Darryl Sutter: Who replaces Gagne in the top-six? How will the Kings’ struggling offense react to losing its fifth-leading scorer? Gagne had been skating with Mike Richards and Trevor Lewis on a revamped second line, so the likely candidates to jump up are third- and fourth-line LWs Dustin Penner and Kyle Clifford.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 23
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 40
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6