Dec 28, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Two days after missing the third period in a 4-3 win over Phoenix, LA Kings LW Simon Gagne has officially been placed on injured reserve. Kings GM Dean Lombardi made the announcement this morning, saying Gagne’s on the shelf with an upper-body injury.
The organization is keeping mum on specifics, but LA Kings Insider Rich Hammond reports it’s “obvious” Gagne hurt himself by hitting his head after a hit near the boards. (TSN has video of the suspected incident, watch it here.)
Questions now abound for new head coach Darryl Sutter: Who replaces Gagne in the top-six? How will the Kings’ struggling offense react to losing its fifth-leading scorer? Gagne had been skating with Mike Richards and Trevor Lewis on a revamped second line, so the likely candidates to jump up are third- and fourth-line LWs Dustin Penner and Kyle Clifford.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5