Dec 28, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT
We haven’t heard from former Stanley Cup winner John Madden this season but that’s likely going to change soon.
Madden has been working out lately and now with the roster freeze lifted, he’s close to coming back to NHL action and the Florida Panthers are highly interested. George Richards of The Miami Herald reports that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is interested in bringing in yet another former Blackhawks Stanley Cup winner to south Florida.
“We’re talking to everyone, and we’re listening to everyone,’’ general manager Dale Tallon said during Tuesday’s game. “We really need some bodies. We’re trying to get better and will do so anyway we can.’’
Madden is 38 years-old and played last season with Minnesota scoring 12 goals for the Wild as a third and fourth line center. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Tallon is undecided whether he’ll sign Madden, but the team’s current injury situation might force his hand.
The Panthers are going without Stephen Weiss, Marco Sturm, Scottie Upshall, Jack Skille, Sean Bergenheim, and Marcel Goc makes life hard on the Panthers. While they keep winning, it’s getting stressful and Madden would make a solid, veteran stopgap there. At least Weiss is due to be back soon, but the others have a longer road ahead of them.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)