Dec 28, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT
We haven’t heard from former Stanley Cup winner John Madden this season but that’s likely going to change soon.
Madden has been working out lately and now with the roster freeze lifted, he’s close to coming back to NHL action and the Florida Panthers are highly interested. George Richards of The Miami Herald reports that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is interested in bringing in yet another former Blackhawks Stanley Cup winner to south Florida.
“We’re talking to everyone, and we’re listening to everyone,’’ general manager Dale Tallon said during Tuesday’s game. “We really need some bodies. We’re trying to get better and will do so anyway we can.’’
Madden is 38 years-old and played last season with Minnesota scoring 12 goals for the Wild as a third and fourth line center. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Tallon is undecided whether he’ll sign Madden, but the team’s current injury situation might force his hand.
The Panthers are going without Stephen Weiss, Marco Sturm, Scottie Upshall, Jack Skille, Sean Bergenheim, and Marcel Goc makes life hard on the Panthers. While they keep winning, it’s getting stressful and Madden would make a solid, veteran stopgap there. At least Weiss is due to be back soon, but the others have a longer road ahead of them.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)