Dec 28, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT
We haven’t heard from former Stanley Cup winner John Madden this season but that’s likely going to change soon.
Madden has been working out lately and now with the roster freeze lifted, he’s close to coming back to NHL action and the Florida Panthers are highly interested. George Richards of The Miami Herald reports that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is interested in bringing in yet another former Blackhawks Stanley Cup winner to south Florida.
“We’re talking to everyone, and we’re listening to everyone,’’ general manager Dale Tallon said during Tuesday’s game. “We really need some bodies. We’re trying to get better and will do so anyway we can.’’
Madden is 38 years-old and played last season with Minnesota scoring 12 goals for the Wild as a third and fourth line center. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Tallon is undecided whether he’ll sign Madden, but the team’s current injury situation might force his hand.
The Panthers are going without Stephen Weiss, Marco Sturm, Scottie Upshall, Jack Skille, Sean Bergenheim, and Marcel Goc makes life hard on the Panthers. While they keep winning, it’s getting stressful and Madden would make a solid, veteran stopgap there. At least Weiss is due to be back soon, but the others have a longer road ahead of them.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)