Dec 28, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT
We haven’t heard from former Stanley Cup winner John Madden this season but that’s likely going to change soon.
Madden has been working out lately and now with the roster freeze lifted, he’s close to coming back to NHL action and the Florida Panthers are highly interested. George Richards of The Miami Herald reports that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is interested in bringing in yet another former Blackhawks Stanley Cup winner to south Florida.
“We’re talking to everyone, and we’re listening to everyone,’’ general manager Dale Tallon said during Tuesday’s game. “We really need some bodies. We’re trying to get better and will do so anyway we can.’’
Madden is 38 years-old and played last season with Minnesota scoring 12 goals for the Wild as a third and fourth line center. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Tallon is undecided whether he’ll sign Madden, but the team’s current injury situation might force his hand.
The Panthers are going without Stephen Weiss, Marco Sturm, Scottie Upshall, Jack Skille, Sean Bergenheim, and Marcel Goc makes life hard on the Panthers. While they keep winning, it’s getting stressful and Madden would make a solid, veteran stopgap there. At least Weiss is due to be back soon, but the others have a longer road ahead of them.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)