Dec 28, 2011, 2:41 PM EDT
Kari Lehtonen is back.
The Dallas goalie — who hasn’t played since Nov. 26 due to a groin injury — will make his return to the ice on Thursday against the Columbus Blue Jackets, according to the team’s official website.
“Lehtonen is ready to go,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan said. “[He] will get the start tomorrow night.”
Losers in three of their last five, the Stars will welcome Lehtonen back with open arms. Rookie netminder Richard Bachman has been impressive in relief, but shown recent signs of burnout. Bachman made his eighth consecutive start on Monday against St. Louis and was yanked after allowing three goals on 25 shots.
“You hate to let your teammates down and I know I had to have some of those,” Bachman said afterward. “they were goals that changed the momentum, and that hurts.”
Speaking of momentum, Lehtonen’s return could provide a major swing. He was Dallas’ unquestioned MVP through the first quarter of the season and on many shortlists for league MVP. At the time of his injury, the 28-year-old Finn was 13-4-1 with a 2.34 GAA and .926 save percentage — a big reason why Dallas stood atop the Pacific Division for most of October and November.
How Gulutzan works his No. 1 goalie back into the lineup will be intriguing. Lehtonen has been injury-prone throughout his career, yet was ridden exceptionally hard (there’s gotta be a better way to say that) early in the season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 11
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)