Dec 28, 2011, 2:41 PM EDT
Kari Lehtonen is back.
The Dallas goalie — who hasn’t played since Nov. 26 due to a groin injury — will make his return to the ice on Thursday against the Columbus Blue Jackets, according to the team’s official website.
“Lehtonen is ready to go,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan said. “[He] will get the start tomorrow night.”
Losers in three of their last five, the Stars will welcome Lehtonen back with open arms. Rookie netminder Richard Bachman has been impressive in relief, but shown recent signs of burnout. Bachman made his eighth consecutive start on Monday against St. Louis and was yanked after allowing three goals on 25 shots.
“You hate to let your teammates down and I know I had to have some of those,” Bachman said afterward. “they were goals that changed the momentum, and that hurts.”
Speaking of momentum, Lehtonen’s return could provide a major swing. He was Dallas’ unquestioned MVP through the first quarter of the season and on many shortlists for league MVP. At the time of his injury, the 28-year-old Finn was 13-4-1 with a 2.34 GAA and .926 save percentage — a big reason why Dallas stood atop the Pacific Division for most of October and November.
How Gulutzan works his No. 1 goalie back into the lineup will be intriguing. Lehtonen has been injury-prone throughout his career, yet was ridden exceptionally hard (there’s gotta be a better way to say that) early in the season.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 67
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15