Dec 28, 2011, 11:07 PM EDT
Even when things were at their most dour with Bruce Boudreau, the Washington Capitals probably didn’t qualify as a truly bad team. Instead, they have been disappointing, which can be even more frustrating.
Every now and then, they show the potential that made them a Stanley Cup contender going into the season. Tonight was one of those nights as they rolled over the Eastern Conference-leading New York Rangers 4-1.
This was one of New York’s worst performances in some time, but that shouldn’t totally tarnish a Washington win that almost seemed scripted. Alex Ovechkin had his first multiple point game since Nov. 4, according to Stephen Whyno. Alexander Semin looked like the sniper who used to be worth all of the headaches as he scored two goals and seemed dangerous throughout. Role players like Troy Brouwer had some ups (missed chances) and downs (a nice elbow grease goal) while Tomas Vokoun stopped 31 out of 32 shots for his 13th win of the season.
Yup, the Capitals came up smelling like roses. It’s a long season, though, and some might side with teams like the hard-working Rangers instead of the mercurial Capitals.
Then again, the Caps might look to this game when they’re making their New Year’s resolutions.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)