Dec 28, 2011, 11:07 PM EDT
Even when things were at their most dour with Bruce Boudreau, the Washington Capitals probably didn’t qualify as a truly bad team. Instead, they have been disappointing, which can be even more frustrating.
Every now and then, they show the potential that made them a Stanley Cup contender going into the season. Tonight was one of those nights as they rolled over the Eastern Conference-leading New York Rangers 4-1.
This was one of New York’s worst performances in some time, but that shouldn’t totally tarnish a Washington win that almost seemed scripted. Alex Ovechkin had his first multiple point game since Nov. 4, according to Stephen Whyno. Alexander Semin looked like the sniper who used to be worth all of the headaches as he scored two goals and seemed dangerous throughout. Role players like Troy Brouwer had some ups (missed chances) and downs (a nice elbow grease goal) while Tomas Vokoun stopped 31 out of 32 shots for his 13th win of the season.
Yup, the Capitals came up smelling like roses. It’s a long season, though, and some might side with teams like the hard-working Rangers instead of the mercurial Capitals.
Then again, the Caps might look to this game when they’re making their New Year’s resolutions.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)