Dec 28, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres came into this season with big expectations, but their goals are whittling down to the same ones they had midway through 2010-11: simply claw their way into the playoffs. The New Jersey Devils are likely to be one of those “bubble” teams, so dropping a 3-1 loss to them cannot feel good.
The turning point?
Then again, the Sabres haven’t felt very good since they took a four-game winning streak into Boston on Nov. 12. Call it an easy narrative if you’d like, but times have been pretty lean since Milan Lucic clobbered Ryan Miller.
Since then, the Sabres have gone 7-11-3 to drop their overall record to 17-16-3. Buffalo went from second place in the Northeast Division and fourth in the East before that collision to fourth in their division and 11th in the conference today.
Who’s to blame?
The Versus gang pointed a finger at Miller and he’s certainly been disappointing, but it’s a team-wide concern. Despite some expensive should-be enhancements, their offense is inconsistent, their defense is as lax as its ever been and, yes, their goalie isn’t earning his big contract.
It’s tough to say what they really need to do – unless you’re in the subset who believes the team should make the drastic move of trading Miller – so improvement will have to come from within.
(Unless the Sabres decide to fire Lindy Ruff, the league’s longest tenured coach in the NHL, of course.)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)