Dec 28, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres came into this season with big expectations, but their goals are whittling down to the same ones they had midway through 2010-11: simply claw their way into the playoffs. The New Jersey Devils are likely to be one of those “bubble” teams, so dropping a 3-1 loss to them cannot feel good.
The turning point?
Then again, the Sabres haven’t felt very good since they took a four-game winning streak into Boston on Nov. 12. Call it an easy narrative if you’d like, but times have been pretty lean since Milan Lucic clobbered Ryan Miller.
Since then, the Sabres have gone 7-11-3 to drop their overall record to 17-16-3. Buffalo went from second place in the Northeast Division and fourth in the East before that collision to fourth in their division and 11th in the conference today.
Who’s to blame?
The Versus gang pointed a finger at Miller and he’s certainly been disappointing, but it’s a team-wide concern. Despite some expensive should-be enhancements, their offense is inconsistent, their defense is as lax as its ever been and, yes, their goalie isn’t earning his big contract.
It’s tough to say what they really need to do – unless you’re in the subset who believes the team should make the drastic move of trading Miller – so improvement will have to come from within.
(Unless the Sabres decide to fire Lindy Ruff, the league’s longest tenured coach in the NHL, of course.)
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 2
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 66
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)