Dec 27, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
After all the injuries we’ve seen this year, one usual suspect to get hurt has stayed healthy for most of this season. That is until last night.
Kings forward Simon Gagne missed the third period of last night’s 4-3 Kings win over Phoenix. L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond finds out from coach Darryl Sutter that Gagne will be evaluated further today but L.A. Times reporter Lisa Dillman says that the outlook isn’t so hot for the oft-injured winger.
“Sobering news. Looks like Simon Gagne is going to be out for awhile. Believed to be a head injury. Called upper-body injury in NHL talk.”
Gagne has had a history of concussion problems, among other ailments, in his NHL career and ever since departing Philadelphia he hasn’t been the 30-40 goal scorer of old. Should it be a concussion for Gagne, the Kings will need to make do without him for a bit as you’d imagine his recovery will be carefully monitored.
That leaves it up to guys like Andrei Loktionov and Trent Hunter to try and fill his hole in the lineup. Gagne’s had a nice season scoring seven goals and adding ten assists but certainly not living up to the hopes of being a potential 30-goal man like he was three years ago with the Flyers.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 11
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22