Dec 27, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
After all the injuries we’ve seen this year, one usual suspect to get hurt has stayed healthy for most of this season. That is until last night.
Kings forward Simon Gagne missed the third period of last night’s 4-3 Kings win over Phoenix. L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond finds out from coach Darryl Sutter that Gagne will be evaluated further today but L.A. Times reporter Lisa Dillman says that the outlook isn’t so hot for the oft-injured winger.
“Sobering news. Looks like Simon Gagne is going to be out for awhile. Believed to be a head injury. Called upper-body injury in NHL talk.”
Gagne has had a history of concussion problems, among other ailments, in his NHL career and ever since departing Philadelphia he hasn’t been the 30-40 goal scorer of old. Should it be a concussion for Gagne, the Kings will need to make do without him for a bit as you’d imagine his recovery will be carefully monitored.
That leaves it up to guys like Andrei Loktionov and Trent Hunter to try and fill his hole in the lineup. Gagne’s had a nice season scoring seven goals and adding ten assists but certainly not living up to the hopes of being a potential 30-goal man like he was three years ago with the Flyers.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)