Dec 27, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
After all the injuries we’ve seen this year, one usual suspect to get hurt has stayed healthy for most of this season. That is until last night.
Kings forward Simon Gagne missed the third period of last night’s 4-3 Kings win over Phoenix. L.A. Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond finds out from coach Darryl Sutter that Gagne will be evaluated further today but L.A. Times reporter Lisa Dillman says that the outlook isn’t so hot for the oft-injured winger.
“Sobering news. Looks like Simon Gagne is going to be out for awhile. Believed to be a head injury. Called upper-body injury in NHL talk.”
Gagne has had a history of concussion problems, among other ailments, in his NHL career and ever since departing Philadelphia he hasn’t been the 30-40 goal scorer of old. Should it be a concussion for Gagne, the Kings will need to make do without him for a bit as you’d imagine his recovery will be carefully monitored.
That leaves it up to guys like Andrei Loktionov and Trent Hunter to try and fill his hole in the lineup. Gagne’s had a nice season scoring seven goals and adding ten assists but certainly not living up to the hopes of being a potential 30-goal man like he was three years ago with the Flyers.
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 4
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)