Dec 27, 2011, 1:55 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Michael Del Zotto, New York Rangers
After suffering through a textbook sophomore slump, the 21-year-old has regained the form that made him a candidate for rookie of the year in 2009-10. Check that, he’s better than he was in his first NHL season.
After 34 games, Del Zotto leads all Rangers defensemen with 21 points, and he leads the team with a remarkable plus-25 rating.
Those stats are even more impressive when you consider he was sent down to the AHL less than a year ago.
“Everything about him is different this season,” goalie Henrik Lundqvist told the New York Times. “His passes are crisper. His battle level is like we’d never seen before. He’s playing a lot more physically. You have to remember, he is still a very young player, especially for a defenseman. But there’s no question he’s a more confident player.”
Del Zotto’s bounce-back has meant even more for the Rangers in the absence of Marc Staal, as coach John Tortorella has been able to play the young blueliner 22:42 per game.
“He’s learning what it takes to be a pro,” Tortorella told the Times. “He’s on the right road.”
Michael Del Zotto, everyone.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)