Dec 27, 2011, 1:55 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Michael Del Zotto, New York Rangers
After suffering through a textbook sophomore slump, the 21-year-old has regained the form that made him a candidate for rookie of the year in 2009-10. Check that, he’s better than he was in his first NHL season.
After 34 games, Del Zotto leads all Rangers defensemen with 21 points, and he leads the team with a remarkable plus-25 rating.
Those stats are even more impressive when you consider he was sent down to the AHL less than a year ago.
“Everything about him is different this season,” goalie Henrik Lundqvist told the New York Times. “His passes are crisper. His battle level is like we’d never seen before. He’s playing a lot more physically. You have to remember, he is still a very young player, especially for a defenseman. But there’s no question he’s a more confident player.”
Del Zotto’s bounce-back has meant even more for the Rangers in the absence of Marc Staal, as coach John Tortorella has been able to play the young blueliner 22:42 per game.
“He’s learning what it takes to be a pro,” Tortorella told the Times. “He’s on the right road.”
Michael Del Zotto, everyone.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)