Dec 27, 2011, 12:19 PM EST
The Flyers are rolling along nicely now but without Chris Pronger to lead them this year, their defensive corps isn’t quite as formidable as they’d like it to be. They could use a big, physical, veteran defenseman to help round out their blue line in their hopes to win the Stanley Cup, but those don’t just fall out of trees.
Instead, Frank Seravalli of Philly.com says there’s one name out there getting a lot of buzz as a trade target in Carolina’s Tim Gleason. Seravalli says that with Pronger on LTIR that frees up over $4 million in cap space for the Flyers and making it that much easier for them to acquire someone to help them on their quest for the Cup.
Gleason makes a world of sense as a trade target because he fits the bill as a physical defensive defenseman. Gleason also has played for coach Peter Laviolette in the past when he was coaching in Carolina. Of course, the Hurricanes have injury woes of their own with Joni Pitkanen and giving up a top four defenseman probably isn’t ideal.
Things can always change and if the Hurricanes fall further out of playoff contention they might be sellers. With the holiday roster freeze lifted at noon ET today, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren might want to start working the phones.
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 0
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)