Dec 27, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
The Flyers are rolling along nicely now but without Chris Pronger to lead them this year, their defensive corps isn’t quite as formidable as they’d like it to be. They could use a big, physical, veteran defenseman to help round out their blue line in their hopes to win the Stanley Cup, but those don’t just fall out of trees.
Instead, Frank Seravalli of Philly.com says there’s one name out there getting a lot of buzz as a trade target in Carolina’s Tim Gleason. Seravalli says that with Pronger on LTIR that frees up over $4 million in cap space for the Flyers and making it that much easier for them to acquire someone to help them on their quest for the Cup.
Gleason makes a world of sense as a trade target because he fits the bill as a physical defensive defenseman. Gleason also has played for coach Peter Laviolette in the past when he was coaching in Carolina. Of course, the Hurricanes have injury woes of their own with Joni Pitkanen and giving up a top four defenseman probably isn’t ideal.
Things can always change and if the Hurricanes fall further out of playoff contention they might be sellers. With the holiday roster freeze lifted at noon ET today, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren might want to start working the phones.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)