Dec 27, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
The Flyers are rolling along nicely now but without Chris Pronger to lead them this year, their defensive corps isn’t quite as formidable as they’d like it to be. They could use a big, physical, veteran defenseman to help round out their blue line in their hopes to win the Stanley Cup, but those don’t just fall out of trees.
Instead, Frank Seravalli of Philly.com says there’s one name out there getting a lot of buzz as a trade target in Carolina’s Tim Gleason. Seravalli says that with Pronger on LTIR that frees up over $4 million in cap space for the Flyers and making it that much easier for them to acquire someone to help them on their quest for the Cup.
Gleason makes a world of sense as a trade target because he fits the bill as a physical defensive defenseman. Gleason also has played for coach Peter Laviolette in the past when he was coaching in Carolina. Of course, the Hurricanes have injury woes of their own with Joni Pitkanen and giving up a top four defenseman probably isn’t ideal.
Things can always change and if the Hurricanes fall further out of playoff contention they might be sellers. With the holiday roster freeze lifted at noon ET today, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren might want to start working the phones.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)