Dec 27, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
The Flyers are rolling along nicely now but without Chris Pronger to lead them this year, their defensive corps isn’t quite as formidable as they’d like it to be. They could use a big, physical, veteran defenseman to help round out their blue line in their hopes to win the Stanley Cup, but those don’t just fall out of trees.
Instead, Frank Seravalli of Philly.com says there’s one name out there getting a lot of buzz as a trade target in Carolina’s Tim Gleason. Seravalli says that with Pronger on LTIR that frees up over $4 million in cap space for the Flyers and making it that much easier for them to acquire someone to help them on their quest for the Cup.
Gleason makes a world of sense as a trade target because he fits the bill as a physical defensive defenseman. Gleason also has played for coach Peter Laviolette in the past when he was coaching in Carolina. Of course, the Hurricanes have injury woes of their own with Joni Pitkanen and giving up a top four defenseman probably isn’t ideal.
Things can always change and if the Hurricanes fall further out of playoff contention they might be sellers. With the holiday roster freeze lifted at noon ET today, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren might want to start working the phones.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 5
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)