Dec 27, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
The Flyers are rolling along nicely now but without Chris Pronger to lead them this year, their defensive corps isn’t quite as formidable as they’d like it to be. They could use a big, physical, veteran defenseman to help round out their blue line in their hopes to win the Stanley Cup, but those don’t just fall out of trees.
Instead, Frank Seravalli of Philly.com says there’s one name out there getting a lot of buzz as a trade target in Carolina’s Tim Gleason. Seravalli says that with Pronger on LTIR that frees up over $4 million in cap space for the Flyers and making it that much easier for them to acquire someone to help them on their quest for the Cup.
Gleason makes a world of sense as a trade target because he fits the bill as a physical defensive defenseman. Gleason also has played for coach Peter Laviolette in the past when he was coaching in Carolina. Of course, the Hurricanes have injury woes of their own with Joni Pitkanen and giving up a top four defenseman probably isn’t ideal.
Things can always change and if the Hurricanes fall further out of playoff contention they might be sellers. With the holiday roster freeze lifted at noon ET today, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren might want to start working the phones.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)