Dec 27, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
While PHT doesn’t normally do a lot of Kontinental Hockey League coverage, we have occasionally profiled the insane asylum known as HC Vityaz Chekhov. Remember that post we wrote called Watch a KHL coach attack fans with a hockey stick? Yeah, same team.
Vityaz is coached (yeah, same stick-swinging coach) by former NHL enforcer Andrei Nazarov, who has brought his unique “punch first, ask questions later” style to the KHL. As such, the Vityaz roster features former Tampa Bay goon Nick Tarnasky, six-time Golden Gloves champ Jeremy Yablonski and Jon “Nasty” Mirasty, who you can read about here.
Yablonski has already been suspended for the season and based on the latest (shaky) video offering from Russia, Tarnasky and Mirasty might soon follow suit:
As far as I can tell, this came at the end of Vityaz’s most recent game, a 4-2 loss to Metallurg Magnitogorsk — Sergei Fedorov’s team. The poor guys getting jumped by Tarnasky and Mirasty are No. 58 Alexey Bondarev and No. 75 Mikhail Yakubov, who don’t seem like willing participants.
I’d say this could spell the end of Vityaz’s brawling ways, but then I re-checked its roster. The team also employs noted leviathan Kip Brennan (see his handiwork here), who leads the league in penalty minutes with 158…through 11 games!
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4