Dec 27, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
While PHT doesn’t normally do a lot of Kontinental Hockey League coverage, we have occasionally profiled the insane asylum known as HC Vityaz Chekhov. Remember that post we wrote called Watch a KHL coach attack fans with a hockey stick? Yeah, same team.
Vityaz is coached (yeah, same stick-swinging coach) by former NHL enforcer Andrei Nazarov, who has brought his unique “punch first, ask questions later” style to the KHL. As such, the Vityaz roster features former Tampa Bay goon Nick Tarnasky, six-time Golden Gloves champ Jeremy Yablonski and Jon “Nasty” Mirasty, who you can read about here.
Yablonski has already been suspended for the season and based on the latest (shaky) video offering from Russia, Tarnasky and Mirasty might soon follow suit:
As far as I can tell, this came at the end of Vityaz’s most recent game, a 4-2 loss to Metallurg Magnitogorsk — Sergei Fedorov’s team. The poor guys getting jumped by Tarnasky and Mirasty are No. 58 Alexey Bondarev and No. 75 Mikhail Yakubov, who don’t seem like willing participants.
I’d say this could spell the end of Vityaz’s brawling ways, but then I re-checked its roster. The team also employs noted leviathan Kip Brennan (see his handiwork here), who leads the league in penalty minutes with 158…through 11 games!
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)