Dec 27, 2011, 12:36 PM EST
Randy Cunneyworth’s inability to speak French is the least of PK Subban‘s concerns.
He’s got to figure out how to get back in Cunneyworth’s good graces — in any language.
Last Thursday, Cunneyworth made his first bold move as head coach (check that, interim head coach) by scratching Subban and center Lars Eller for a game in Winnipeg, which Montreal lost 4-0.
“You don’t want to be a healthy scratch and when you are it’s embarrassing,” Subban told the Globe and Mail. “You’re walking through the airport going home and you don’t even want to look at anybody, because people put so much hope in you as playing and helping the team.
“You want to help the team. And when they don’t think you can do the job, it’s embarrassing. It’s not fun. But it’s not my decision on whether I play or not, so when I get the opportunity I just show up.”
Even though he declined to speak with reporters today, Subban looks as though he’ll rejoin the Habs lineup tonight against Ottawa (he was paired with Josh Gorges and back on the powerplay point during practice.)
And assuming Subban’s back in, the focus will undoubtedly be on his response. Even though he was minus-4 in consecutive losses to Boston and Chicago after careless giveaways on key goals, sitting him out was deemed an extreme measure. Subban leads all Canadiens in average ice time (23:59) and mans both the powerplay and penalty kill.
“I don’t ever want to be a healthy scratch again,” he said. “I shouldn’t be.
“When it happens it’s embarrassing. There’s no other word. I’m not angry, not sad, not mad at myself. It’s just embarrassing.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4