Dec 27, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
Randy Cunneyworth’s inability to speak French is the least of PK Subban‘s concerns.
He’s got to figure out how to get back in Cunneyworth’s good graces — in any language.
Last Thursday, Cunneyworth made his first bold move as head coach (check that, interim head coach) by scratching Subban and center Lars Eller for a game in Winnipeg, which Montreal lost 4-0.
“You don’t want to be a healthy scratch and when you are it’s embarrassing,” Subban told the Globe and Mail. “You’re walking through the airport going home and you don’t even want to look at anybody, because people put so much hope in you as playing and helping the team.
“You want to help the team. And when they don’t think you can do the job, it’s embarrassing. It’s not fun. But it’s not my decision on whether I play or not, so when I get the opportunity I just show up.”
Even though he declined to speak with reporters today, Subban looks as though he’ll rejoin the Habs lineup tonight against Ottawa (he was paired with Josh Gorges and back on the powerplay point during practice.)
And assuming Subban’s back in, the focus will undoubtedly be on his response. Even though he was minus-4 in consecutive losses to Boston and Chicago after careless giveaways on key goals, sitting him out was deemed an extreme measure. Subban leads all Canadiens in average ice time (23:59) and mans both the powerplay and penalty kill.
“I don’t ever want to be a healthy scratch again,” he said. “I shouldn’t be.
“When it happens it’s embarrassing. There’s no other word. I’m not angry, not sad, not mad at myself. It’s just embarrassing.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)