Dec 27, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
At the time of writing, two have been declared suspension-free.
First, Weise’s hit on Edmonton’s Alex Plante (FF to 7:50)
The hit earned Weise a five-minute charging major and game misconduct. Here’s what the involved parties had to say:
Weise: “Things happen so fast. I thought I caught him with a shoulder. He kind of went in with a vulnerable position. I respect the call. …I was getting in. I was just trying to angle him off and I caught him in a vulnerable position.”
Tom Renney: “Pretty tough hit. Maybe a little sabbatical. He came pretty hard. He had a pretty full head of steam up. And he was after one thing, and that was to hurt and hit the kid.”
Next up, New Jersey’s Ryan Carter on Carolina’s Jaroslav Spacek. No video available, but here’s the photographic aftermath:
(courtesy US Presswire)
Carter got five and a game for boarding while Spacek appeared no worse for wear, returning to the contest and finishing with 17:38 of ice time.
“I think the league will take a look at it but it’s not really for me to worry about. It’s kind of out of my control,” Carter told the Star-Ledger following the game. “I thought he was going to play the puck along the wall and continue it. That would’ve opened him up but the puck bounced right at his feet so he turned back the other way.”
The third and final incident is Colorado’s Cody McLeod hitting Minnesota’s Jared Spurgeon from behind, which occurred roughly five minutes into the game:
McLeod was given a five-minute major for checking from behind and a game misconduct; Spurgeon left the game and didn’t return. Kent Youngblood of the Minnesota Star-Tribune reports that Spurgeon wasn’t on the ice at practice today, which probably pissed off head coach Mike Yeo.
Check that, pissed Yeo off even more. Here’s what he had to say following last night’s contest:
“I didn’t like the hit one bit,” Yeo said. “They hit him from behind two shifts before that, and I thought that one could have been called, too. I thought that one was dangerous. So twice … five minutes into the game?”
Still no word on what McLeod’s fate will be.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)