Dec 27, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
At the time of writing, two have been declared suspension-free.
First, Weise’s hit on Edmonton’s Alex Plante (FF to 7:50)
The hit earned Weise a five-minute charging major and game misconduct. Here’s what the involved parties had to say:
Weise: “Things happen so fast. I thought I caught him with a shoulder. He kind of went in with a vulnerable position. I respect the call. …I was getting in. I was just trying to angle him off and I caught him in a vulnerable position.”
Tom Renney: “Pretty tough hit. Maybe a little sabbatical. He came pretty hard. He had a pretty full head of steam up. And he was after one thing, and that was to hurt and hit the kid.”
Next up, New Jersey’s Ryan Carter on Carolina’s Jaroslav Spacek. No video available, but here’s the photographic aftermath:
(courtesy US Presswire)
Carter got five and a game for boarding while Spacek appeared no worse for wear, returning to the contest and finishing with 17:38 of ice time.
“I think the league will take a look at it but it’s not really for me to worry about. It’s kind of out of my control,” Carter told the Star-Ledger following the game. “I thought he was going to play the puck along the wall and continue it. That would’ve opened him up but the puck bounced right at his feet so he turned back the other way.”
The third and final incident is Colorado’s Cody McLeod hitting Minnesota’s Jared Spurgeon from behind, which occurred roughly five minutes into the game:
McLeod was given a five-minute major for checking from behind and a game misconduct; Spurgeon left the game and didn’t return. Kent Youngblood of the Minnesota Star-Tribune reports that Spurgeon wasn’t on the ice at practice today, which probably pissed off head coach Mike Yeo.
Check that, pissed Yeo off even more. Here’s what he had to say following last night’s contest:
“I didn’t like the hit one bit,” Yeo said. “They hit him from behind two shifts before that, and I thought that one could have been called, too. I thought that one was dangerous. So twice … five minutes into the game?”
Still no word on what McLeod’s fate will be.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)