Dec 27, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
At the time of writing, two have been declared suspension-free.
First, Weise’s hit on Edmonton’s Alex Plante (FF to 7:50)
The hit earned Weise a five-minute charging major and game misconduct. Here’s what the involved parties had to say:
Weise: “Things happen so fast. I thought I caught him with a shoulder. He kind of went in with a vulnerable position. I respect the call. …I was getting in. I was just trying to angle him off and I caught him in a vulnerable position.”
Tom Renney: “Pretty tough hit. Maybe a little sabbatical. He came pretty hard. He had a pretty full head of steam up. And he was after one thing, and that was to hurt and hit the kid.”
Next up, New Jersey’s Ryan Carter on Carolina’s Jaroslav Spacek. No video available, but here’s the photographic aftermath:
(courtesy US Presswire)
Carter got five and a game for boarding while Spacek appeared no worse for wear, returning to the contest and finishing with 17:38 of ice time.
“I think the league will take a look at it but it’s not really for me to worry about. It’s kind of out of my control,” Carter told the Star-Ledger following the game. “I thought he was going to play the puck along the wall and continue it. That would’ve opened him up but the puck bounced right at his feet so he turned back the other way.”
The third and final incident is Colorado’s Cody McLeod hitting Minnesota’s Jared Spurgeon from behind, which occurred roughly five minutes into the game:
McLeod was given a five-minute major for checking from behind and a game misconduct; Spurgeon left the game and didn’t return. Kent Youngblood of the Minnesota Star-Tribune reports that Spurgeon wasn’t on the ice at practice today, which probably pissed off head coach Mike Yeo.
Check that, pissed Yeo off even more. Here’s what he had to say following last night’s contest:
“I didn’t like the hit one bit,” Yeo said. “They hit him from behind two shifts before that, and I thought that one could have been called, too. I thought that one was dangerous. So twice … five minutes into the game?”
Still no word on what McLeod’s fate will be.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)