Dec 27, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
Cam Ward’s “goal” at the end of yesterday’s Hurricanes-Devils game had the good folks at NHL.com thinking about the first goaltender to ever “score” in an NHL game.
That honor belongs to Islanders legend Billy Smith, who has former Colorado Rockies defenseman Rob Ramage to thank for that.
Here’s what happened Nov. 28, 1979, in Denver:
Bonus Billy Smith video!
Here’s Smith hacking Wayne Gretzky to the ice in 1983.
Of course, the first goalie to ever score (no quotation marks required) was Philadelphia’s Ron Hextall, who notched his first of two career goals on Dec. 8, 1987, versus the Bruins.
Bonus Ron Hextall video!
Here’s Hextall attacking Chris Chelios in 1989.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 1
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 10
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 60
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (62)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)