Dec 27, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
Cam Ward’s “goal” at the end of yesterday’s Hurricanes-Devils game had the good folks at NHL.com thinking about the first goaltender to ever “score” in an NHL game.
That honor belongs to Islanders legend Billy Smith, who has former Colorado Rockies defenseman Rob Ramage to thank for that.
Here’s what happened Nov. 28, 1979, in Denver:
Bonus Billy Smith video!
Here’s Smith hacking Wayne Gretzky to the ice in 1983.
Of course, the first goalie to ever score (no quotation marks required) was Philadelphia’s Ron Hextall, who notched his first of two career goals on Dec. 8, 1987, versus the Bruins.
Bonus Ron Hextall video!
Here’s Hextall attacking Chris Chelios in 1989.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 9
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)