Dec 27, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
Cam Ward’s “goal” at the end of yesterday’s Hurricanes-Devils game had the good folks at NHL.com thinking about the first goaltender to ever “score” in an NHL game.
That honor belongs to Islanders legend Billy Smith, who has former Colorado Rockies defenseman Rob Ramage to thank for that.
Here’s what happened Nov. 28, 1979, in Denver:
Bonus Billy Smith video!
Here’s Smith hacking Wayne Gretzky to the ice in 1983.
Of course, the first goalie to ever score (no quotation marks required) was Philadelphia’s Ron Hextall, who notched his first of two career goals on Dec. 8, 1987, versus the Bruins.
Bonus Ron Hextall video!
Here’s Hextall attacking Chris Chelios in 1989.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 48
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 28
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25