Dec 27, 2011, 2:32 PM EST
Cam Ward’s “goal” at the end of yesterday’s Hurricanes-Devils game had the good folks at NHL.com thinking about the first goaltender to ever “score” in an NHL game.
That honor belongs to Islanders legend Billy Smith, who has former Colorado Rockies defenseman Rob Ramage to thank for that.
Here’s what happened Nov. 28, 1979, in Denver:
Bonus Billy Smith video!
Here’s Smith hacking Wayne Gretzky to the ice in 1983.
Of course, the first goalie to ever score (no quotation marks required) was Philadelphia’s Ron Hextall, who notched his first of two career goals on Dec. 8, 1987, versus the Bruins.
Bonus Ron Hextall video!
Here’s Hextall attacking Chris Chelios in 1989.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)