Dec 27, 2011, 11:25 PM EST
For two periods, it seemed like the story would be all about the St. Louis Blues’ ascension to serious contender status in the NHL.
They carried a 2-1 lead into the second intermission that didn’t fully tell the story about how well they were playing. The Detroit Red Wings illustrated what it takes to be truly elite in the final frame, though, as their dominant 20 minutes – especially two goals in 56 seconds – earned them a 3-2 win.
This victory gives the Red Wings their 11th win in a row at Joe Louis Arena and a one-point lead over the Blues for second place in the increasingly competitive Central Division.
Blues start hot
The Blues’ suddenly dangerous power play provided the team’s two goals, including a strange 2-0 goal by Alexander Steen. It seemed like the puck would be whistled dead as Jimmy Howard appeared to have it, but Steen pushed it into Detroit’s net.
Red Wings’ red-hot third
Nicklas Lidstrom scored a man advantage goal with a bit more than a minute left in the second period, which set the tone for an irresistible comeback by the Red Wings. Detroit generated a 13-3 shots on goal advantage in that final frame and although Brian Elliott produced some brilliant work, it wasn’t enough. Pavel Datsyuk‘s magical deflection tied it up midway through the third and then Niklas Kronwall scored the game-winner less than a minute later.
The Chicago Blackhawks sit atop the NHL and the Central Division but they can’t take it easy with Detroit and St. Louis right behind them. The Red Wings took tonight’s game with an impressive finish while the Blues made quite the impression even in defeat.
Sure, they lost, but this game might just prove that it’s time to take Ken Hitchcock, Elliott and the Blues seriously from now on.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 3
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 16
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)