Dec 27, 2011, 4:38 PM EST
What a difference a month can make.
Thirty days ago, it looked as though backup Andrew Raycroft would be Dallas’ temporary No. 1 goalie after Kari Lehtonen was lost to a groin injury. Raycroft’s lone challenger was unheralded rookie Richard Bachman, who had nine minutes of NHL experience.
Yet Bachman provided stellar play and wrestled the starting gig away from Raycroft. Now, with Lehtonen set to return to action on Thursday against Columbus, Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk is putting Raycroft on waivers — meaning Bachman is the new No. 2.
“I think through his body of work, he’s earned the opportunity to move forward at this level,” Nieuwendyk told Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News. “It’s a process, and he’s still learning, but he has done a lot of good things and we feel he has the ability to be even better.”
Raycroft, 31, could be picked up by another team by 11 a.m. Thursday. While his numbers aren’t great this season — 2-8-0 with a 3.52 GAA and .898 save percentage — he’s still an intriguing option.
First, he’s affordable. There’s one year left on his deal that pays $650,000 annually.
Second, he’s coming off two pretty decent seasons. In 2009-10, he went 9-5-1 with a 2.42 GAA and .911 save percentage in Vancouver; last year he went 8-5-0 with a 2.83 GAA and .910 save percentage in Dallas.
Third, there are teams desperate for goaltending help — Columbus and Tampa Bay, most notably — and acquiring Raycroft is about as inexpensive and low-risk as it gets.
If no team claims Raycroft, it’s off to AHL Texas.
“It could be a good thing for Andrew,” Nieuwendyk said. “It’s certainly not easy for him, but I do believe it’s also an opportunity. He can get the chance to play some and maybe get into a groove.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)