Dec 27, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
What a difference a month can make.
Thirty days ago, it looked as though backup Andrew Raycroft would be Dallas’ temporary No. 1 goalie after Kari Lehtonen was lost to a groin injury. Raycroft’s lone challenger was unheralded rookie Richard Bachman, who had nine minutes of NHL experience.
Yet Bachman provided stellar play and wrestled the starting gig away from Raycroft. Now, with Lehtonen set to return to action on Thursday against Columbus, Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk is putting Raycroft on waivers — meaning Bachman is the new No. 2.
“I think through his body of work, he’s earned the opportunity to move forward at this level,” Nieuwendyk told Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News. “It’s a process, and he’s still learning, but he has done a lot of good things and we feel he has the ability to be even better.”
Raycroft, 31, could be picked up by another team by 11 a.m. Thursday. While his numbers aren’t great this season — 2-8-0 with a 3.52 GAA and .898 save percentage — he’s still an intriguing option.
First, he’s affordable. There’s one year left on his deal that pays $650,000 annually.
Second, he’s coming off two pretty decent seasons. In 2009-10, he went 9-5-1 with a 2.42 GAA and .911 save percentage in Vancouver; last year he went 8-5-0 with a 2.83 GAA and .910 save percentage in Dallas.
Third, there are teams desperate for goaltending help — Columbus and Tampa Bay, most notably — and acquiring Raycroft is about as inexpensive and low-risk as it gets.
If no team claims Raycroft, it’s off to AHL Texas.
“It could be a good thing for Andrew,” Nieuwendyk said. “It’s certainly not easy for him, but I do believe it’s also an opportunity. He can get the chance to play some and maybe get into a groove.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)