Dec 27, 2011, 1:48 PM EST
Add another high-profile name to the list of NHL concussion sufferers — Preds blueliner Shea Weber.
The Nashville captain, Norris Trophy finalist and hockey’s highest-paid defenseman (in terms of cap hit) will be out indefinitely after taking a hit during Friday’s 6-3 loss to Dallas. It’s believed Weber suffered the concussion on this third-period collision with Stars defenseman Mark Fistric:
Eyebrows were raised yesterday when Weber left the Predators’ morning skate. “This rarely happens,” The Tennessean’s Josh Cooper explained. “In fact, I’ve never seen it happen.”
Weber was subsequently held out of last night’s 4-1 loss to Detroit and — as per the team’s announcement today — won’t be playing Wednesday against Minnesota. The Predators also announced there’s no timetable for his return.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5