Dec 27, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Add another high-profile name to the list of NHL concussion sufferers — Preds blueliner Shea Weber.
The Nashville captain, Norris Trophy finalist and hockey’s highest-paid defenseman (in terms of cap hit) will be out indefinitely after taking a hit during Friday’s 6-3 loss to Dallas. It’s believed Weber suffered the concussion on this third-period collision with Stars defenseman Mark Fistric:
Eyebrows were raised yesterday when Weber left the Predators’ morning skate. “This rarely happens,” The Tennessean’s Josh Cooper explained. “In fact, I’ve never seen it happen.”
Weber was subsequently held out of last night’s 4-1 loss to Detroit and — as per the team’s announcement today — won’t be playing Wednesday against Minnesota. The Predators also announced there’s no timetable for his return.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5