Dec 27, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Add another high-profile name to the list of NHL concussion sufferers — Preds blueliner Shea Weber.
The Nashville captain, Norris Trophy finalist and hockey’s highest-paid defenseman (in terms of cap hit) will be out indefinitely after taking a hit during Friday’s 6-3 loss to Dallas. It’s believed Weber suffered the concussion on this third-period collision with Stars defenseman Mark Fistric:
Eyebrows were raised yesterday when Weber left the Predators’ morning skate. “This rarely happens,” The Tennessean’s Josh Cooper explained. “In fact, I’ve never seen it happen.”
Weber was subsequently held out of last night’s 4-1 loss to Detroit and — as per the team’s announcement today — won’t be playing Wednesday against Minnesota. The Predators also announced there’s no timetable for his return.
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 23
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3