Dec 27, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning are currently handling the Philadelphia Flyers in one of tonight’s strange games (the Lightning ended up winning 4-1 in a game Ilya Bryzgalov would like to forget), but they might lose in the long run. Their already questionable defense took at least one worrisome hit tonight.
Victor Hedman left the contest with a dreaded upper-body injury and won’t be back, according to the Lightning. It’s unclear what caused it, but in these times, it’s hard not to think of the word “concussion.”
Things looked downright scary for big minutes defenseman Eric Brewer, who was beaten badly by Wayne Simmonds in a rousing fight (click here for video). The good news is that Brewer returned to the bench, yet one cannot help but wonder if he’ll eventually miss some time (or at least be short of 100 percent) in the near future.
The Lightning are already hurting on defense, but losing Hedman, Brewer or both could cause the struggling team some serious problems.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)