Dec 27, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning are currently handling the Philadelphia Flyers in one of tonight’s strange games (the Lightning ended up winning 4-1 in a game Ilya Bryzgalov would like to forget), but they might lose in the long run. Their already questionable defense took at least one worrisome hit tonight.
Victor Hedman left the contest with a dreaded upper-body injury and won’t be back, according to the Lightning. It’s unclear what caused it, but in these times, it’s hard not to think of the word “concussion.”
Things looked downright scary for big minutes defenseman Eric Brewer, who was beaten badly by Wayne Simmonds in a rousing fight (click here for video). The good news is that Brewer returned to the bench, yet one cannot help but wonder if he’ll eventually miss some time (or at least be short of 100 percent) in the near future.
The Lightning are already hurting on defense, but losing Hedman, Brewer or both could cause the struggling team some serious problems.
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 14
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 3
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)