Dec 27, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning are currently handling the Philadelphia Flyers in one of tonight’s strange games (the Lightning ended up winning 4-1 in a game Ilya Bryzgalov would like to forget), but they might lose in the long run. Their already questionable defense took at least one worrisome hit tonight.
Victor Hedman left the contest with a dreaded upper-body injury and won’t be back, according to the Lightning. It’s unclear what caused it, but in these times, it’s hard not to think of the word “concussion.”
Things looked downright scary for big minutes defenseman Eric Brewer, who was beaten badly by Wayne Simmonds in a rousing fight (click here for video). The good news is that Brewer returned to the bench, yet one cannot help but wonder if he’ll eventually miss some time (or at least be short of 100 percent) in the near future.
The Lightning are already hurting on defense, but losing Hedman, Brewer or both could cause the struggling team some serious problems.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8