Dec 27, 2011, 9:31 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning are currently handling the Philadelphia Flyers in one of tonight’s strange games (the Lightning ended up winning 4-1 in a game Ilya Bryzgalov would like to forget), but they might lose in the long run. Their already questionable defense took at least one worrisome hit tonight.
Victor Hedman left the contest with a dreaded upper-body injury and won’t be back, according to the Lightning. It’s unclear what caused it, but in these times, it’s hard not to think of the word “concussion.”
Things looked downright scary for big minutes defenseman Eric Brewer, who was beaten badly by Wayne Simmonds in a rousing fight (click here for video). The good news is that Brewer returned to the bench, yet one cannot help but wonder if he’ll eventually miss some time (or at least be short of 100 percent) in the near future.
The Lightning are already hurting on defense, but losing Hedman, Brewer or both could cause the struggling team some serious problems.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)