Dec 27, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning are currently handling the Philadelphia Flyers in one of tonight’s strange games (the Lightning ended up winning 4-1 in a game Ilya Bryzgalov would like to forget), but they might lose in the long run. Their already questionable defense took at least one worrisome hit tonight.
Victor Hedman left the contest with a dreaded upper-body injury and won’t be back, according to the Lightning. It’s unclear what caused it, but in these times, it’s hard not to think of the word “concussion.”
Things looked downright scary for big minutes defenseman Eric Brewer, who was beaten badly by Wayne Simmonds in a rousing fight (click here for video). The good news is that Brewer returned to the bench, yet one cannot help but wonder if he’ll eventually miss some time (or at least be short of 100 percent) in the near future.
The Lightning are already hurting on defense, but losing Hedman, Brewer or both could cause the struggling team some serious problems.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 0
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 20
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22