Dec 27, 2011, 5:31 PM EST
If you prick Ilya Kovalchuk, does he not bleed? If you tickle him, does he not laugh? If you poison him, does he not die?
(Answers: Yes, yes, and maybe, depending on the poison.)
The point is, Kovalchuk is a mere mortal like the rest of us. Just because he makes millions of dollars, lives in a mansion, takes a helicopter to work and owns two horses that ran in the Kentucky Derby (probably) doesn’t mean he’s immune to feeling awful about scoring a goal on his own team.
“You think these superstar players are super human,” said Devils coach Pete DeBoer today. “They’re not. They’re sensitive. They have feelings.”
Cue teary Darryl Strawberry!
Fortunately, the Star-Ledger reports that Kovalchuk “was in good spirits today, flying on the ice during practice.”
New Jersey hosts Buffalo Wednesday. For Kovalchuk, it’s an opportunity for redemption.
“Myself, first of all, I have to be ready, show up and show my teammates I can be much better than that,” he said yesterday.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 86
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)