Dec 27, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
If you prick Ilya Kovalchuk, does he not bleed? If you tickle him, does he not laugh? If you poison him, does he not die?
(Answers: Yes, yes, and maybe, depending on the poison.)
The point is, Kovalchuk is a mere mortal like the rest of us. Just because he makes millions of dollars, lives in a mansion, takes a helicopter to work and owns two horses that ran in the Kentucky Derby (probably) doesn’t mean he’s immune to feeling awful about scoring a goal on his own team.
“You think these superstar players are super human,” said Devils coach Pete DeBoer today. “They’re not. They’re sensitive. They have feelings.”
Cue teary Darryl Strawberry!
Fortunately, the Star-Ledger reports that Kovalchuk “was in good spirits today, flying on the ice during practice.”
New Jersey hosts Buffalo Wednesday. For Kovalchuk, it’s an opportunity for redemption.
“Myself, first of all, I have to be ready, show up and show my teammates I can be much better than that,” he said yesterday.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (83)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)