Dec 27, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
If you prick Ilya Kovalchuk, does he not bleed? If you tickle him, does he not laugh? If you poison him, does he not die?
(Answers: Yes, yes, and maybe, depending on the poison.)
The point is, Kovalchuk is a mere mortal like the rest of us. Just because he makes millions of dollars, lives in a mansion, takes a helicopter to work and owns two horses that ran in the Kentucky Derby (probably) doesn’t mean he’s immune to feeling awful about scoring a goal on his own team.
“You think these superstar players are super human,” said Devils coach Pete DeBoer today. “They’re not. They’re sensitive. They have feelings.”
Cue teary Darryl Strawberry!
Fortunately, the Star-Ledger reports that Kovalchuk “was in good spirits today, flying on the ice during practice.”
New Jersey hosts Buffalo Wednesday. For Kovalchuk, it’s an opportunity for redemption.
“Myself, first of all, I have to be ready, show up and show my teammates I can be much better than that,” he said yesterday.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)