Dec 27, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
If you prick Ilya Kovalchuk, does he not bleed? If you tickle him, does he not laugh? If you poison him, does he not die?
(Answers: Yes, yes, and maybe, depending on the poison.)
The point is, Kovalchuk is a mere mortal like the rest of us. Just because he makes millions of dollars, lives in a mansion, takes a helicopter to work and owns two horses that ran in the Kentucky Derby (probably) doesn’t mean he’s immune to feeling awful about scoring a goal on his own team.
“You think these superstar players are super human,” said Devils coach Pete DeBoer today. “They’re not. They’re sensitive. They have feelings.”
Cue teary Darryl Strawberry!
Fortunately, the Star-Ledger reports that Kovalchuk “was in good spirits today, flying on the ice during practice.”
New Jersey hosts Buffalo Wednesday. For Kovalchuk, it’s an opportunity for redemption.
“Myself, first of all, I have to be ready, show up and show my teammates I can be much better than that,” he said yesterday.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks