Dec 27, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT
Even after seeing his team shutout the rival Islanders, Rangers coach John Tortorella can take exception with something.
This time around, Tortorella had choice words for the folks keeping stats during last night’s game. Rangers forward Brian Boyle was credited with just one blocked shot in the game after absorbing more rubber than Henrik Lundqvist did in pitching a shutout.
After the game, Tortorella sounded off to Katie Strang of ESPN New York about the lack of credit his guys got on the stat sheet.
“The league stats are ridiculous. Brian Boyle probably blocked four or five shots, he’s down for one. They shouldn’t even give us those sheets,” Tortorella said.
Both Boyle and Anton Stralman shined during a second period flurry that saw the Islanders threaten to score but come up empty thanks to their efforts. Even worse still, you can’t even blame the lack of stats on it being a homer scorekeeper as the game was at Madison Square Garden.
If you’re carrying a pen and a clipboard around John Tortorella these days, we’d suggest treading very lightly until this passes.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)