Dec 27, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT
Even after seeing his team shutout the rival Islanders, Rangers coach John Tortorella can take exception with something.
This time around, Tortorella had choice words for the folks keeping stats during last night’s game. Rangers forward Brian Boyle was credited with just one blocked shot in the game after absorbing more rubber than Henrik Lundqvist did in pitching a shutout.
After the game, Tortorella sounded off to Katie Strang of ESPN New York about the lack of credit his guys got on the stat sheet.
“The league stats are ridiculous. Brian Boyle probably blocked four or five shots, he’s down for one. They shouldn’t even give us those sheets,” Tortorella said.
Both Boyle and Anton Stralman shined during a second period flurry that saw the Islanders threaten to score but come up empty thanks to their efforts. Even worse still, you can’t even blame the lack of stats on it being a homer scorekeeper as the game was at Madison Square Garden.
If you’re carrying a pen and a clipboard around John Tortorella these days, we’d suggest treading very lightly until this passes.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)