Dec 27, 2011, 3:11 PM EDT
Courtesy The Weather Channel comes the latest forecast for the 2012 Winter Classic on Jan. 2 in Philadelphia (on NBC!).
Could be better. Could be worse.
The one thing the NHL is hoping to avoid is rain. Above-freezing temperatures shouldn’t be a problem, as it’s not like the Flyers and Rangers will be skating on an outdoor pond. The rink they use for the Winter Classic is one of them fancy high-tech ones with pipes and…whatnot.
Unfortunately, rain is what Philadelphia is experiencing today, as reported by NHL.com.
“We’re expecting about an inch of rain, but we got a lot of stuff done (Tuesday) morning and then we’ll start to move inside and do the things we need to do to stay dry,” said NHL Senior Vice President of Events Don Renzulli. “We still have locker rooms to complete. We’ll put matting down and carpeting down. It’s getting organized so (Wednesday) we can play catch-up on the stuff that didn’t get done (Tuesday).
“As you look around, all the big stuff is down on the field, so I’m not worried about that now. It’s all about tightening up now.”
For more on the weather situation in Philadelphia, here’s NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.
Sorry, wrong video. Here’s Rosen:
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)