Dec 27, 2011, 3:11 PM EDT
Courtesy The Weather Channel comes the latest forecast for the 2012 Winter Classic on Jan. 2 in Philadelphia (on NBC!).
Could be better. Could be worse.
The one thing the NHL is hoping to avoid is rain. Above-freezing temperatures shouldn’t be a problem, as it’s not like the Flyers and Rangers will be skating on an outdoor pond. The rink they use for the Winter Classic is one of them fancy high-tech ones with pipes and…whatnot.
Unfortunately, rain is what Philadelphia is experiencing today, as reported by NHL.com.
“We’re expecting about an inch of rain, but we got a lot of stuff done (Tuesday) morning and then we’ll start to move inside and do the things we need to do to stay dry,” said NHL Senior Vice President of Events Don Renzulli. “We still have locker rooms to complete. We’ll put matting down and carpeting down. It’s getting organized so (Wednesday) we can play catch-up on the stuff that didn’t get done (Tuesday).
“As you look around, all the big stuff is down on the field, so I’m not worried about that now. It’s all about tightening up now.”
For more on the weather situation in Philadelphia, here’s NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.
Sorry, wrong video. Here’s Rosen:
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)