Dec 27, 2011, 3:11 PM EDT
Courtesy The Weather Channel comes the latest forecast for the 2012 Winter Classic on Jan. 2 in Philadelphia (on NBC!).
Could be better. Could be worse.
The one thing the NHL is hoping to avoid is rain. Above-freezing temperatures shouldn’t be a problem, as it’s not like the Flyers and Rangers will be skating on an outdoor pond. The rink they use for the Winter Classic is one of them fancy high-tech ones with pipes and…whatnot.
Unfortunately, rain is what Philadelphia is experiencing today, as reported by NHL.com.
“We’re expecting about an inch of rain, but we got a lot of stuff done (Tuesday) morning and then we’ll start to move inside and do the things we need to do to stay dry,” said NHL Senior Vice President of Events Don Renzulli. “We still have locker rooms to complete. We’ll put matting down and carpeting down. It’s getting organized so (Wednesday) we can play catch-up on the stuff that didn’t get done (Tuesday).
“As you look around, all the big stuff is down on the field, so I’m not worried about that now. It’s all about tightening up now.”
For more on the weather situation in Philadelphia, here’s NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.
Sorry, wrong video. Here’s Rosen:
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)