Dec 27, 2011, 3:11 PM EST
Courtesy The Weather Channel comes the latest forecast for the 2012 Winter Classic on Jan. 2 in Philadelphia (on NBC!).
Could be better. Could be worse.
The one thing the NHL is hoping to avoid is rain. Above-freezing temperatures shouldn’t be a problem, as it’s not like the Flyers and Rangers will be skating on an outdoor pond. The rink they use for the Winter Classic is one of them fancy high-tech ones with pipes and…whatnot.
Unfortunately, rain is what Philadelphia is experiencing today, as reported by NHL.com.
“We’re expecting about an inch of rain, but we got a lot of stuff done (Tuesday) morning and then we’ll start to move inside and do the things we need to do to stay dry,” said NHL Senior Vice President of Events Don Renzulli. “We still have locker rooms to complete. We’ll put matting down and carpeting down. It’s getting organized so (Wednesday) we can play catch-up on the stuff that didn’t get done (Tuesday).
“As you look around, all the big stuff is down on the field, so I’m not worried about that now. It’s all about tightening up now.”
For more on the weather situation in Philadelphia, here’s NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.
Sorry, wrong video. Here’s Rosen:
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)