Dec 27, 2011, 4:08 PM EDT
Earlier this month we brought to you the tale of Vancouver LW Chris Higgins and his on-again, off-again relationship with Staph infections.
Apparently they’re back on.
Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province reports that Higgins arrived at the rink today with a swollen hand — and when Higgins arrives at the rink with a swollen hand, it’s serious business. He sat out the Dec. 6 game versus Colorado with a foot infection and missed six games with the Panthers last season because of a similar ailment.
This latest (possible) infection will keep Higgins from traveling with the Canucks as they head to California. Vancouver begins its three-game roadie against the Sharks on Wednesday — while Higgins won’t travel today (he’s undergoing tests), Jamieson notes he could join the team in San Jose tomorrow.
And just so we’re clear, these Staph infections have nothing to do with Higgins’ cleanliness (or lack thereof).
“I washed my equipment more than anybody else I’ve ever seen, even before I got the Staph infection,” Higgins said last season.
“I wash it two or three times a week and there are guys that never wash it.”
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 17
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)