Dec 27, 2011, 4:08 PM EDT
Earlier this month we brought to you the tale of Vancouver LW Chris Higgins and his on-again, off-again relationship with Staph infections.
Apparently they’re back on.
Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province reports that Higgins arrived at the rink today with a swollen hand — and when Higgins arrives at the rink with a swollen hand, it’s serious business. He sat out the Dec. 6 game versus Colorado with a foot infection and missed six games with the Panthers last season because of a similar ailment.
This latest (possible) infection will keep Higgins from traveling with the Canucks as they head to California. Vancouver begins its three-game roadie against the Sharks on Wednesday — while Higgins won’t travel today (he’s undergoing tests), Jamieson notes he could join the team in San Jose tomorrow.
And just so we’re clear, these Staph infections have nothing to do with Higgins’ cleanliness (or lack thereof).
“I washed my equipment more than anybody else I’ve ever seen, even before I got the Staph infection,” Higgins said last season.
“I wash it two or three times a week and there are guys that never wash it.”
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)