Dec 26, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Tomas Vokoun will watch from the bench again tonight when his Capitals meet the Sabres in Buffalo. Washington’s goalie hasn’t played since Dec. 13 when he was pulled during a 5-1 loss to the Flyers. In Vokoun’s stead (for the fifth straight time) will be Michal Neuvirth.
As reported by the Washington Times, Vokoun isn’t sure why he hasn’t seen action in almost two weeks.
“I can’t really tell you. I don’t know what I did wrong to be in this spot,” Vokoun said. “I’m a professional hockey player and I don’t make decisions who plays, who doesn’t. That’s not question for me. All I can answer is where I play, how I play and how I felt I did out there and stuff like that. That’s pretty much all I can tell you about.”
Capitals coach Dale Hunter called the decision to start Neuvirth “a gut feeling,” though he could’ve just let his goalie’s recent play do the talking.
Neuvirth is coming off a 4-3 shootout loss to New Jersey on Friday – a score that suggests tonight might’ve been a good night to get Vokoun back in – but Neuvirth was credited with keeping the Capitals in the game versus the Devils, allowing his team to fight back from a 3-0 deficit and get at least a point out of it.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)