Dec 26, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Tomas Vokoun will watch from the bench again tonight when his Capitals meet the Sabres in Buffalo. Washington’s goalie hasn’t played since Dec. 13 when he was pulled during a 5-1 loss to the Flyers. In Vokoun’s stead (for the fifth straight time) will be Michal Neuvirth.
As reported by the Washington Times, Vokoun isn’t sure why he hasn’t seen action in almost two weeks.
“I can’t really tell you. I don’t know what I did wrong to be in this spot,” Vokoun said. “I’m a professional hockey player and I don’t make decisions who plays, who doesn’t. That’s not question for me. All I can answer is where I play, how I play and how I felt I did out there and stuff like that. That’s pretty much all I can tell you about.”
Capitals coach Dale Hunter called the decision to start Neuvirth “a gut feeling,” though he could’ve just let his goalie’s recent play do the talking.
Neuvirth is coming off a 4-3 shootout loss to New Jersey on Friday – a score that suggests tonight might’ve been a good night to get Vokoun back in – but Neuvirth was credited with keeping the Capitals in the game versus the Devils, allowing his team to fight back from a 3-0 deficit and get at least a point out of it.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)