Dec 26, 2011, 2:49 PM EST
Tomas Vokoun will watch from the bench again tonight when his Capitals meet the Sabres in Buffalo. Washington’s goalie hasn’t played since Dec. 13 when he was pulled during a 5-1 loss to the Flyers. In Vokoun’s stead (for the fifth straight time) will be Michal Neuvirth.
As reported by the Washington Times, Vokoun isn’t sure why he hasn’t seen action in almost two weeks.
“I can’t really tell you. I don’t know what I did wrong to be in this spot,” Vokoun said. “I’m a professional hockey player and I don’t make decisions who plays, who doesn’t. That’s not question for me. All I can answer is where I play, how I play and how I felt I did out there and stuff like that. That’s pretty much all I can tell you about.”
Capitals coach Dale Hunter called the decision to start Neuvirth “a gut feeling,” though he could’ve just let his goalie’s recent play do the talking.
Neuvirth is coming off a 4-3 shootout loss to New Jersey on Friday – a score that suggests tonight might’ve been a good night to get Vokoun back in – but Neuvirth was credited with keeping the Capitals in the game versus the Devils, allowing his team to fight back from a 3-0 deficit and get at least a point out of it.
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 3
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)