Dec 26, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Tomas Vokoun will watch from the bench again tonight when his Capitals meet the Sabres in Buffalo. Washington’s goalie hasn’t played since Dec. 13 when he was pulled during a 5-1 loss to the Flyers. In Vokoun’s stead (for the fifth straight time) will be Michal Neuvirth.
As reported by the Washington Times, Vokoun isn’t sure why he hasn’t seen action in almost two weeks.
“I can’t really tell you. I don’t know what I did wrong to be in this spot,” Vokoun said. “I’m a professional hockey player and I don’t make decisions who plays, who doesn’t. That’s not question for me. All I can answer is where I play, how I play and how I felt I did out there and stuff like that. That’s pretty much all I can tell you about.”
Capitals coach Dale Hunter called the decision to start Neuvirth “a gut feeling,” though he could’ve just let his goalie’s recent play do the talking.
Neuvirth is coming off a 4-3 shootout loss to New Jersey on Friday – a score that suggests tonight might’ve been a good night to get Vokoun back in – but Neuvirth was credited with keeping the Capitals in the game versus the Devils, allowing his team to fight back from a 3-0 deficit and get at least a point out of it.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)