Dec 26, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
Following up on this morning’s post about the Rangers getting healthier, some big news: Marc Staal was not only cleared for contact today, but also made it through his first practice sans yellow jersey.
“I totally felt fully confident going on the ice and taking some hits,” Staal told Andrew Gross of the Bergen Record. “There was no doubt in my mind it was the right thing to do.”
There’s still no definitive timetable for Staal’s return. He did participate in battle drills during practice, but said his conditioning needs work in order to prepare for playing 25 minutes a night.
“It will take a bit to get my timing back,” Staal told BlueShirts United. “Like everyone says, you can work out all summer as hard as you want, the moment you get into a corner and start pushing ans shoving and hitting, it just drains you. So it will be good to get that back.”
That 25-minute comment is key given the current state of New York’s blueline — head coach John Tortorella is going almost exclusively with four defenseman given injuries to Steve Eminger and Jeff Woywitka. In New York’s last game against Philadelphia, the top-four of Michael Del Zotto, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh and Anton Stralman all played over 24 minutes.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 59
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)