Dec 26, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Following up on this morning’s post about the Rangers getting healthier, some big news: Marc Staal was not only cleared for contact today, but also made it through his first practice sans yellow jersey.
“I totally felt fully confident going on the ice and taking some hits,” Staal told Andrew Gross of the Bergen Record. “There was no doubt in my mind it was the right thing to do.”
There’s still no definitive timetable for Staal’s return. He did participate in battle drills during practice, but said his conditioning needs work in order to prepare for playing 25 minutes a night.
“It will take a bit to get my timing back,” Staal told BlueShirts United. “Like everyone says, you can work out all summer as hard as you want, the moment you get into a corner and start pushing ans shoving and hitting, it just drains you. So it will be good to get that back.”
That 25-minute comment is key given the current state of New York’s blueline — head coach John Tortorella is going almost exclusively with four defenseman given injuries to Steve Eminger and Jeff Woywitka. In New York’s last game against Philadelphia, the top-four of Michael Del Zotto, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh and Anton Stralman all played over 24 minutes.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)