Dec 26, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
Neuvirth was yanked from tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres after allowing three goals on just six shots. That was 11:15 into the game, leaving Vokoun enough time to give up a tally of his own. Both goalies currently have only stopped half of the shots they’ve seen through a first period that Stephen Whyno calls the worst the Caps have played under Hunter.
It looks like Washington’s goalie conundrum continues – and it’s not a good problem to have, like the solid situation in St. Louis.
Ultimately, it seems like the answer to “What is ailing the Capitals?” might just be “Everything.” Their offense is average, their defense tends to shoot itself in the foot and their goalie duo continues to struggle.
The Capitals have 40 minutes to turn things around and 4-0 leads aren’t as hopeless as they were before the lockout. Still, it’s periods like these that make you wonder if the Capitals are just a mediocre team instead of being a sleeping giant.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)