Dec 26, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
Neuvirth was yanked from tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres after allowing three goals on just six shots. That was 11:15 into the game, leaving Vokoun enough time to give up a tally of his own. Both goalies currently have only stopped half of the shots they’ve seen through a first period that Stephen Whyno calls the worst the Caps have played under Hunter.
It looks like Washington’s goalie conundrum continues – and it’s not a good problem to have, like the solid situation in St. Louis.
Ultimately, it seems like the answer to “What is ailing the Capitals?” might just be “Everything.” Their offense is average, their defense tends to shoot itself in the foot and their goalie duo continues to struggle.
The Capitals have 40 minutes to turn things around and 4-0 leads aren’t as hopeless as they were before the lockout. Still, it’s periods like these that make you wonder if the Capitals are just a mediocre team instead of being a sleeping giant.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22