Dec 26, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Every Monday, we’ll highlight (lowlight?) three of the NHL’s biggest duds from the past week.
1st Dud: Jussi Jokinen, LW, Carolina
Key Stat: 15-game goalless streak
Jokinen’s last goal came on Nov. 20 in a 3-2 win over Toronto. Since then, Carolina has fired Paul Maurice and replaced him with Kirk Muller, lost two players (Joni Pitkanen and Jeff Skinner) to concussions and won a whopping four games.
Meanwhile — in Jokinen’s native Finland — children have celebrated Christmas day, or joulupäivä, and received a visit from Joulupukki, the Finnish version of Santa who’s name roughly translates to “yule goat.”
The more you know…
2nd Dud: Mike Cammalleri, LW, Montreal Canadiens
Key stat: 10-game goalless streak.
Cammi hasn’t scored since Dec. 1, a 4-3 shootout loss to San Jose. Since then, he’s become the face of an anemic offense that ranks 23rd in total goals and 25th in goals per game — this from a guy that once scored 34 with Los Angeles and 39 with Calgary. Cammalleri’s currently on pace for 16 goals, which would be his lowest total since 2003-04. On the bright side, il parle un petit peu du francais:
Emphasis on un petit peu.
3rd Dud: Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anaheim Ducks
Key stat: Eight-game goalless streak
I realize Getzlaf’s more of a setup guy than marksman, but his inability to score this season has been shocking. His last goal came on Dec. 4 in a 5-3 loss to Minnesota; two games prior to that, he scored against Montreal to snap a 14-game goalless drought.
To be fair to Getzlaf, he’s hardly the only Duck that’s gone cold. Bobby Ryan hasn’t scored in six, Andrew Cogliano hasn’t scored in nine while three defensemen — Toni Lydman, Luca Sbisa and Sheldon Brookbank — have all played in at least 32 games, yet none have scored a goal.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)