Dec 26, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Every Monday, we’ll highlight (lowlight?) three of the NHL’s biggest duds from the past week.
1st Dud: Jussi Jokinen, LW, Carolina
Key Stat: 15-game goalless streak
Jokinen’s last goal came on Nov. 20 in a 3-2 win over Toronto. Since then, Carolina has fired Paul Maurice and replaced him with Kirk Muller, lost two players (Joni Pitkanen and Jeff Skinner) to concussions and won a whopping four games.
Meanwhile — in Jokinen’s native Finland — children have celebrated Christmas day, or joulupäivä, and received a visit from Joulupukki, the Finnish version of Santa who’s name roughly translates to “yule goat.”
The more you know…
2nd Dud: Mike Cammalleri, LW, Montreal Canadiens
Key stat: 10-game goalless streak.
Cammi hasn’t scored since Dec. 1, a 4-3 shootout loss to San Jose. Since then, he’s become the face of an anemic offense that ranks 23rd in total goals and 25th in goals per game — this from a guy that once scored 34 with Los Angeles and 39 with Calgary. Cammalleri’s currently on pace for 16 goals, which would be his lowest total since 2003-04. On the bright side, il parle un petit peu du francais:
Emphasis on un petit peu.
3rd Dud: Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anaheim Ducks
Key stat: Eight-game goalless streak
I realize Getzlaf’s more of a setup guy than marksman, but his inability to score this season has been shocking. His last goal came on Dec. 4 in a 5-3 loss to Minnesota; two games prior to that, he scored against Montreal to snap a 14-game goalless drought.
To be fair to Getzlaf, he’s hardly the only Duck that’s gone cold. Bobby Ryan hasn’t scored in six, Andrew Cogliano hasn’t scored in nine while three defensemen — Toni Lydman, Luca Sbisa and Sheldon Brookbank — have all played in at least 32 games, yet none have scored a goal.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)