Dec 26, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Every Monday, we’ll highlight (lowlight?) three of the NHL’s biggest duds from the past week.
1st Dud: Jussi Jokinen, LW, Carolina
Key Stat: 15-game goalless streak
Jokinen’s last goal came on Nov. 20 in a 3-2 win over Toronto. Since then, Carolina has fired Paul Maurice and replaced him with Kirk Muller, lost two players (Joni Pitkanen and Jeff Skinner) to concussions and won a whopping four games.
Meanwhile — in Jokinen’s native Finland — children have celebrated Christmas day, or joulupäivä, and received a visit from Joulupukki, the Finnish version of Santa who’s name roughly translates to “yule goat.”
The more you know…
2nd Dud: Mike Cammalleri, LW, Montreal Canadiens
Key stat: 10-game goalless streak.
Cammi hasn’t scored since Dec. 1, a 4-3 shootout loss to San Jose. Since then, he’s become the face of an anemic offense that ranks 23rd in total goals and 25th in goals per game — this from a guy that once scored 34 with Los Angeles and 39 with Calgary. Cammalleri’s currently on pace for 16 goals, which would be his lowest total since 2003-04. On the bright side, il parle un petit peu du francais:
Emphasis on un petit peu.
3rd Dud: Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anaheim Ducks
Key stat: Eight-game goalless streak
I realize Getzlaf’s more of a setup guy than marksman, but his inability to score this season has been shocking. His last goal came on Dec. 4 in a 5-3 loss to Minnesota; two games prior to that, he scored against Montreal to snap a 14-game goalless drought.
To be fair to Getzlaf, he’s hardly the only Duck that’s gone cold. Bobby Ryan hasn’t scored in six, Andrew Cogliano hasn’t scored in nine while three defensemen — Toni Lydman, Luca Sbisa and Sheldon Brookbank — have all played in at least 32 games, yet none have scored a goal.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30