Dec 26, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
Every Monday, we’ll highlight (lowlight?) three of the NHL’s biggest duds from the past week.
1st Dud: Jussi Jokinen, LW, Carolina
Key Stat: 15-game goalless streak
Jokinen’s last goal came on Nov. 20 in a 3-2 win over Toronto. Since then, Carolina has fired Paul Maurice and replaced him with Kirk Muller, lost two players (Joni Pitkanen and Jeff Skinner) to concussions and won a whopping four games.
Meanwhile — in Jokinen’s native Finland — children have celebrated Christmas day, or joulupäivä, and received a visit from Joulupukki, the Finnish version of Santa who’s name roughly translates to “yule goat.”
The more you know…
2nd Dud: Mike Cammalleri, LW, Montreal Canadiens
Key stat: 10-game goalless streak.
Cammi hasn’t scored since Dec. 1, a 4-3 shootout loss to San Jose. Since then, he’s become the face of an anemic offense that ranks 23rd in total goals and 25th in goals per game — this from a guy that once scored 34 with Los Angeles and 39 with Calgary. Cammalleri’s currently on pace for 16 goals, which would be his lowest total since 2003-04. On the bright side, il parle un petit peu du francais:
Emphasis on un petit peu.
3rd Dud: Ryan Getzlaf, C, Anaheim Ducks
Key stat: Eight-game goalless streak
I realize Getzlaf’s more of a setup guy than marksman, but his inability to score this season has been shocking. His last goal came on Dec. 4 in a 5-3 loss to Minnesota; two games prior to that, he scored against Montreal to snap a 14-game goalless drought.
To be fair to Getzlaf, he’s hardly the only Duck that’s gone cold. Bobby Ryan hasn’t scored in six, Andrew Cogliano hasn’t scored in nine while three defensemen — Toni Lydman, Luca Sbisa and Sheldon Brookbank — have all played in at least 32 games, yet none have scored a goal.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic